Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Devin, and I come from the metro Detroit suburbs of Michigan. I am a current senior at Michigan State University that is interested in the equal treatment of others. Recently, I have been looking into the Charlottesville protests, and I have learned that the divide and hatred in our country needs to be addressed. Hate groups need to be condemned and denounced if America seeks to bring its people together.

Growing up as a white female in America, I have experienced many privileges that come along with being white. I have also experienced disadvantages because of my gender. I, personally, have not experienced hatred because of my race but I have experienced it secondhand. Too many times I have seen Muslims and African Americans receive racial slurs. I have heard hate speech publicly done and done in small groups.

In our country’s current state, I would like to see future issues of hatred be condemned. I think that our leaders need to stress equal human rights for all of our citizens. These issues are important because the public is increasingly more aware of the divide our country is holding. The divide between people is shown in news media, social media, and on the streets. When POTUS does not denounce specific hate groups and when POTUS is tolerant of them, our country needs other leaders to step forward and show that America is not about divide, but rather the diverse intermixing of many different types of people working in harmony.

My suggestion to America’s leaders is that you must all work on policies that are good for the whole. Policies need to be good for the majority and the minority. Peace should be stressed in all situations that it is relevant. If and when more incidents happen like the one in Charlottesville, you must be prepared to step forward and take a position that is beneficial for the public, not just beneficial to holding your place in office.

One day, I hope that all of America can see the light that diversity brings us. I hope that the privileged are not threatened by the upward movement of the disadvantaged. So, please, America’s leaders, be the light that will show America the way to harmony. Be the light that shows our citizens what it means to be America, the Beautiful.

Thank you for your time,

Devin M.

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Leaders, You Are Needed by Devin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Oliver 5 months ago

I agree with you, we need to treat everyone equally, sadly our country is in a tough time where our leader does not even support the people of our country. Hopefully we can find a change soon and fix inequality in this world.

2. Dejah 9 months ago

Dear Devin,

I agree with your post about the leaders of America. I do believe what you aid about whites having more privilege and whites not experiencing hatred because of their race. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “One day, I hope that all of America can see the light that diversity brings us. ” This was very interesting to me because this is all that America needs and what everyone should understand that diversity is apart of life and everyone should be accepted for who they are regardless of color. I love the image behind the message because people all all different shapes sizes and colors which is the main focus of what you were discussing. You have excellent writing and I enjoyed reading this.
    Signed,
    DeJah

3. Jacob 9 months ago

This is a very hopeful message. The solutions may be slightly vague, but these a very complicated topics. I wouldn’t expect any one person to have all the answers. I agree that peace must be stressed in every situation. Whether we’re talking about foreign or domestic issues, America is not typically known for its inclination for peace. We are waging unjust wars abroad and refusing to adequately deal with domestic issues like gun violence and police brutality. You could definitely say this world needs some peaceful solutions right now. Overall, nicely written, Devin.