Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Amanda. I grew up just off of Lake Saint Clair in the Metro Detroit area. Although the area is mostly lower middle class, my family struggled financially due to addiction and bad habits. Because of this, my experience as a teenager was “minimal”. In other words, I missed out on many opportunities because of a lack of money. Field trips, senior overnight parties and school dances were all out of the question- and I would be lying if I claimed I didn’t feel left out through the duration of my high school experience. To top it all off, I was outed as being bisexual my freshman year, which led the other girls to avoid me and the boys to oversexualize me.

After doing research into the Charlottesville riot, I’ve realized how unimportant my struggles have been. I have never been looked at as less than a person because of my color, religion or gender identity. Sure there was some bullying for my sexuality, but it was never anything I couldn’t simply brush off. It also emphasized the importance of intersectionality in our country; I now realize how imperative it is for marginalized groups to “stick together”, so to speak, in order to have a healthy and accepting society.

Therefore, I think it is of utmost importance that our elected leaders advocate for love and peace during these dark times in our history; a time where our own president spreads a rhetoric of hate and fear in order to sway the confused or scared masses into supporting him. Our politicians have an obligation to denounce our president’s harmful speech and particularly the occurrences at Charlottesville. Just to proclaim “one side was bad but the other is worse” is not enough to instill confidence in the American people.

I implore our elected leaders to take a firmer stance on Charlottesville, and condemn Trump for his awful hate speech. My ideal America is one where we accept innocent refugees into our country, end discrimination against marginalized communities, and children are not afraid to go to school because of hateful classmates. We must all be agents of intersectionality, and stand up for our neighbors no matter how different they are. In my ideal America, everyone lives without fear.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Signed,

Amanda G.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Requests and Reflection after Charlottesville by Amanda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jennifer 12 months ago

Hi Amanda,
    This is well written and to the point, I love it. I agree with everything you have to say, except the part about “how unimportant my struggles have been.” Although I believe you’re stating that in comparison with the larger picture of the struggles of the nation, I still feel it’s important to acknowledge your own struggles for they’ve not only helped shape you into the person that you are today, but also given you the ability to sympathize with those within your marginalized group as well as people in other marginalized groups. Although it may not feel like it now and especially not back in school, it is a gift that you can give to the struggling and suffering.
    I hope beyond hope that the current leaders of America can get it together and start helping circumstances instead of continuing to damage them. I grew up during the Cold War and I don’t remember things being so tense among world leaders even then. I’m afraid we will be waiting until mid-term elections to create a real government of change, we can survive until then by supporting one another, sharing what knowledge and compassion that we have, and being kind.

2. Emily 12 months ago

Amanda-
    I agree with the points you brought up in this post. I think that President Trump has not done his part as the leader of the United States to ensure the fair treatment of all individuals as well as condemn those that were active members in the Charlottesville rallies. I too hope that our elected leaders (especially Trump) will look at these issues more seriously and speak out on said topics in a way that promotes intersectionality so that one day we may live without fear.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/trump-charlottesville-delay/index.html

3. Ronnie 12 months ago

Hi Amanda, I really loved reading your thoughts and research on this topic. I myself had a similar reaction when the President spoke out about Charlottesville. To see hate and supremacy barely taken seriously by the leader of our country is so disappointing. I, too, hope that some day all Americans can live without and fear or hate in their hearts. If you’d like to watch/read more about Charlottesville, this is an article with a video that probes deeper into the minds of those involved: https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-tonight-full-episode-charlottesville-race-and-terror