My name is Javier Valdes, I’m a Latino male from Oakland California.  When researching the Charlottesville protest I found that people are too scared to change and hold on to values from 50 years ago.  A protest that started when a statue of a general from over 100 years ago was to be removed turned violent. Growing up in Oakland, a city where the color ratio ranges from white to black you learn that everyone’s the same but people are treated differently.  Cops in my city aren’t really trusted because they don’t always come when someone rings or need them depending on the neighborhood.  People get treated differently based on how you look or act.  As the elected leaders, you should prioritize the racism in the higher parts of the government the fact that we still have discrimination based on the amount you make or the color of your skin is terrible.  At this point in our country’s history we should be equal not face tougher restrictions when in fact everyone’s an immigrant in their own right.  As an American leader you should understand first off we are all equal regardless of the color of our skin.  No one should judge someone or discriminate when we are no one to judge no one.  We need to stop the hate and ignore stereotypes if we want  to move on and continue developing as a society.  The future America will look like a place of equality where people don’t feel discriminated against or unsafe or lesser than anyone else because, we as a country and society will learn from our mistakes and all the unnecessary violence as a whole.

Signed, Javier Valdes

Photo by Elvert Barnes

CC BY-SA 4.0 We all the SAME by Javier is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emily 1 week ago

Hi Javier-
    I really liked your post. I am writing four months after the initial publication but I find these issues to still hold relevance. I, like you am hopeful for an America that is filled with equality and justice for all. As for now, let’s keep working together and hoping for a brighter future. http://law.emory.edu/ecgar/content/volume-4/issue-special/essays-interviews/interview-ahdieh-america-equal.html

2. Jordan 4 months ago

Dear : Javier
    I am interested with your post, “We all the same,” because People get treated differently based on the color of their skin and I like that you involved it.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Growing up in Oakland a city where the color ratio ranges from white to black you learn that everyone’s the same but people are treated differently. ” I think this is true because You could be profiled so easily just because they don’t know your background
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had a football game somewhere in merced and after the game a parent from the other school said That me and my teammates were very professional and that he was surprised because we don’t fight or act ghetto. He said he didn’t expect that from kids from oakland.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because i relate to yours post