Social media has had a large impact on our society for the past decade, not only in the United States, but all around the globe. In recent times and especially this past election year in America, social media has played a big role on the outcome of politics. In the past year, we have seen our current President use social media as a platform for a variety of issues and topics. And although it has been important that current events are being more widespread, some argue that over social media is not the best way to go about things. Facts can easily be misconstrued and “fake stories” become more common than not today.

It’s greatly important that our communities and societies find the line on when to share certain political agendas online. In the recent election, social media provided government parties and their candidates with public platforms to share their opinions online, directly connect with supporters and have multiple audiences discuss certain political issues. Sadly, these parties also filled voters heads with fake news and tailored stories, which took away from the true and legitimate discussion that should’ve taken place. It’s sad to see such an amazing resource such as social media taken for granted and picked apart.

According to the Pew Research Center and its recent polls, some 40% of social media users agree strongly with the notion that social media outlets are places where people say things while discussing politics that they would never say in person. Almost half of these social media users (49%) feel that political conversations on social media are angrier. The best way to create a better future in politics is to conquer issues head-on, and more often than not, politics is best played out when in person and not on social media.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Politics in Social Media by Ronnie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Reagan 11 months ago

Veronica, your topic is excellent and well thought out. I agree that there needs to be a certain point when the amount of information shared is monitored. I also think that when political views are shared on social media it causes a stir and unnecessary arguments. However, it is an essential part of our society and widely used so it is a great platform to make people aware of the news. Great post V!

2. Srihita 11 months ago

I agree with your claim that politicians need to find the right balance when using social media because it has its benefits as well as drawbacks. I think it is important that they use it because it allows them to communicate with people around the world easily but if they are going to use it, they have to be professional and responsible/considerate when posting. What is your opinion regarding this topic?