Do your chores everyday; don’t half clean or you’ll do them again, when you are washing laundry fold your clothes or they’ll wrinkle, nobody wants a girl in wrinkle clothes; what if I don’t care about what others think?; make sure you chew your food 100 times or you’ll choke , when you are crossing the street look both ways or you’ll get hit, don’t take a ride from strangers no matter how nice they are, when you are walking and see a black spin around 3 times, don’t split a pole, but if you do make sure to say “bread and butter”; what happens if I don’t say “bread and butter”; always sit and walk with your back straight or you’ll become a slouch, always look back when you’re walking, dont steal from stores or you’ll be labeled a thief, don’t stick your hands in stuff that not yours–you’re fingers will fall off, this is how you do your hair, so you don’t look a mess, when you are sitting make sure you cross your legs, this is how to pick an outfit to look presentable, when you are outside be polite– your lips will fall off.

Photo by sharna.shumona (off for a while because of net pro

CC BY-SA 4.0 Remake of “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid by Lakaylyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Naycet 10 months ago

Dear Jamaica,
    I am emphatic about your latter because it explains how if you are a girl you have to do most of the cleaning be the “perfect” girl. One sentence that stood out to me was “when you are washing laundry fold your clothes or they’ll wrinkle, nobody wants a girl in wrinkle clothes; “. this stood out to me because in society you have to dress all perfect to be liked. If you are a girl you have to wear make up–but not to much. You have to be tall, skinny, and curvy all in one body. These stereotypes are impossible for a girl to have, people get told to be themselves because that is true beauty but then they tell you how to be because that is even more beautiful. Everybody should be happy in their own skin no matter how they look. Thanks for writing. I am looking forwards to ready more of your work.

2. Naycet 10 months ago

Dear Jamaica,
    I am empathetic about your post because I like the fact that it explains how you have to act and be if you are a girl. One part that stood out to me was “when you are washing laundry fold your clothes or they’ll wrinkle, nobody wants a girl in wrinkle clothes”. this stood out to me because if you are a girl you have to act and be someway for people to like you. You can’t have clothes that are messy, you have to be clean and neat to be a “perfect” girl. Thank you for writing I am looking forward to reading more of your work.