Why must such a fun word have such a negative denotation? We have been bamboozled! Cheated! Swindled! A word such as bamboozled cannot possibly mean to deceive someone, and yet, it does. But the meaning of this word is not what I intend to focus on. No. I intend to figure out why I love it so much. In all honesty, I do not know why I am so fond of the word. Perhaps what I love about bamboozled is the way that it rolls off the tongue. I find it to be quite enjoyable. It is difficult to explain, it is just so gratifying to me. Oh, how I love that sound. Bamboozled, it is just so much fun to say. Sure, it does not have the same vibrato that other words might have, but I never tire of hearing it. Or maybe it is because the word almost seems fake to me, like something a young child might fabricate somewhere deep in their mind. But it is not. The exact origins remain unknown. It is possible that bamboozled is my favorite word because of how effortlessly the word can be used in a variety of different situations. Someone stole your wallet? You have been bamboozled! You were the victim of a prank? Congratulations, you have been bamboozled! Perhaps I love it because it ads a sense of lightheartedness to what would normally be a dreary circumstance. To be truthful, it is probably a combination of the four. A balance between its mysterious creation, unique sound, its versatility, and its gaiety. Bam-booz-le-d. Who would not love such a word?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Bamboozled by Nick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Bladimiro 4 months ago

I’m glad I clicked your post for a couple reasons.
    1. I love that word too and it reminds me of another word I like, “shenanigans”
    2. My favorite word is “Dope” and your featured image is Homer Simpson. Dope is his catchphrase. lol
    3. I think your post and writing style is dope.

2. Vesna 9 months ago

Hey Nick,
    For such a simple prompt you really bring the light out of it through your writing. Your style of rhetoric along with the general vibe of how you feel about the word really shows and makes for a more interesting read. Thank you for writing this piece.
    Vesna Sot

3. Lilian 1 year ago

Have to say after reading this “bamboozled” might just be my new favorite word! This post put a huge smile on my face and I’ll be looking for every opportunity to put “bamboozled” to good use….even if I must do the bamboozling myself. ;)))