Phobias photo

In today’s world, there are millions of people that suffer with phobias, and many feel like these fears are completely arbitrary. From a fear of spiders to a fear of being buried alive on accident and waking up in a coffin. While these phobias may seem to arise by mere chance, there are a few things that can lead to these fears.

Starting with the more simple phobias: they can arise from a stressful or traumatic event that occurred in their childhood. Phobias can also be learnt from a child’s parents or older siblings while growing up. As for the more complex phobias, they are still somewhat a mystery. While research suggests that genetics, brain chemistry, and life experiences may cause these more complex phobias, there is still no definitive answer to what causes these strange fears.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Fear Behind Phobias by Alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Emilee 7 months ago

Alex, I think this is really interesting. I’ve never thought about where fear comes from so I like how you took the time to explain because maybe it will help make more people aware. When I think about fear I normally just think about how I have them and now why so this gave me insight into where it comes from. I’ve noticed how we pick up phobias from those around us because see how I have a lot of the same fears as my parents. I also agree with Shane, I’d love to hear more.

2. Javier 7 months ago

Dear Alex,
    I’m interested in your post “The Fear Behind Phobias” because, I always wondered how and why people had fears of things that are likely never to happen. But because, of you and your source I finally understand. Lines like, “arise from a stressful or traumatic event that occurred in their childhood. Phobias can also be learnt from a child’s parents or older siblings while growing up.” I think that pretty much summarizes my belief of how I think fear happens. And how fear is such a strong feeling that can happen strictly through 1’s experiences. Your post reminds me of my personal fear of snakes as my mom shares the same fear either that or I feel uncomfortable around slithery things. With that being said, Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I feel like I can relate to it through the experiences I’ve been through and who I’ve associated with.

3. Sara 7 months ago

Alex, I have never actually thought of why we fear what we do and where our phobias come from, so I found the topic of this post very interesting. I guess it does make sense that experiences you had as a child could effect your views on something, also since you grow up and learn from just watching your parents I understand how if they have a fear for something you would grow up learning that its something to be afraid of. I think it would be really interesting to find more information on why we have random fears as well, so thank you for introducing me to this idea.

4. Sara Spanogle 7 months ago

I have never actually thought of why we fear what we do and where our phobias come from, so I found the topic of this post very interesting. I guess it does make sense that experiences you had as a child could effect your views on something, also since you grow up and learn from just watching your parents I understand how if they have a fear for something you would grow up learning that its something to be afraid of. I think it would be really interesting to find more information on why we have random fears as well, so thank you for introducing me to this idea.

5. Shane 7 months ago

This is something that I have always been very interested in. While I personally don’t have any phobias, I know people that do and this really shines a light on that. I especially liked the part where you talked about how phobias can develop from siblings or parents while growing up because I had never thought of that before. The idea of developing a phobia midway into your life is something I have never thought about. I’d love to hear more.