People of majority identities don’t talk enough about racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, or other forms of oppression. It’s time people of majority identities talk about diversity as much as people with less dominant identities are forced to. It is a luxury to not have to think or talk about these issues, but it’s one we can no longer afford if we want a better campus climate and society.

Talking is difficult because we all have deeply held beliefs and lack multiple perspectives. For example, polls show that white people see racism as less prevalent than do black people, despite stark evidence to the contrary. Our own experiences have shown us that white and black families talk about race in very different ways. Black children are generally made aware of race and racism at an early age by people outside their homes, and so many black families are faced with placing the topic front and center to prepare children for the injustices they may encounter out in the world. Many white families either tend to avoid the topic altogether or tell their children that everyone is equal, suggesting a post-racial society.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Racism Discussion by Tamesh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jordan 3 weeks ago

Dear : Tamesh
    I am intrigued about your post, “Racism discussion,” because I have strong opinion about racism and how it should be addressed more. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ It is a luxury to not have to think or talk about these issues, but it’s one we can no longer afford if we want a better campus climate and society.” I think this is strong because I feel like some places do ignore and try not to talk about it but if we don’t talk about it things can’t get fixed. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was reading a Colin Kaepernick quote that said “there is a lot of racism in this country disguised as patriotism and that made me think to myself on past experiences and i felt the same way Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you had some points that I can agree on with you