Technology will continue to drastically change our society. There are positive connotations that come with technology. It has increased food production through the mechanization of farming. In addition, technology has improved transportation and communication all around the globe. Information is now readily available to people and therefore has improved education and the learning process. In other words, technology can empower people to get engaged and be more social. According to Technology Review, internet “increases the risk of isolation, alienation, and withdrawal from society, but available evidence shows that the Internet neither isolates people nor reduces their sociability; it actually increases sociability, civic engagement, and the intensity of family and friendship relationships, in all cultures.” In contrast, technology can be detrimental to society. Resources have been depleted with the advancement of technology. Also, technology production and disposal increases pollution. It has also been linked with increased obesity. A significant amount of screen time contributes to poor sleeping patterns and depression. An increase in technology is also linked to more violence. Technology causes people to suffer from mental and emotional disturbances.

As we move forward as a society, technology can either help or hurt the world we live in. According to Huffington Post, “children’s developing sensory, motor, and attachment systems have biologically not evolved to accommodate this sedentary, yet frenzied and chaotic nature of today’s technology. The impact of rapidly advancing technology on the developing child has seen an increase of physical, psychological and behavioral disorders that the health and education systems are just beginning to detect, much less understand.” In other words, children are falling behind developmentally since human biology cannot keep up with fast paced changes in technology. On the other hand, technology can increase a child’s educational experiences. Children can use the internet to learn more about the world they live in. According to Inside Technology 360, “computers and other kinds of technology allow kids levels of autonomy where they receive a sense of empowerment because of the information available at their disposal.” Moreover, technology can help kids grow intellectually. In conclusion, technology will drastically change our society in the future, whether it be positive or negative.

CC BY-SA 4.0 How will technology impact our society? by Erica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Whitlee 6 months ago

I like that you looked at both sides. Technology is a very interesting topic, but it’s also a little scary. Did you know our computers are learning to code themselves? “DeepCoder is a machine learning system that can write its own code. It does this using a technique called program synthesis. Essentially, it creates new programs by combining existing lines of code taken from other software, which is what human coders do. With a particular output in mind, DeepCoder was able to determine which lines or pieces of code would be particularly useful.” (https://futurism.com/4-our-computers-are-learning-how-to-code-themselves/)

I like that you looked at what it’s doing to kids, but I would love to have learned more about the other things. You go into short detail on some other aspects, but I feel like I’d love to know more!

2. Jordan 7 months ago

Dear :Erica
    I am pleased with your post “How will technology impact our society?,” because our society has advanced so much due to the technology we have now.One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Technology will continue to drastically change our society.” I think this is true because we are continuously gaining more knowledge and advancing technology , building new things.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because It had some interesting thoughts put into it

3. Anthony 7 months ago

Erica, I really enjoyed your post more specifically the quote about how technology “increases the risk of isolation, alienation, and withdrawal from society, but available evidence shows that the Internet neither isolates people nor reduces their sociability; it actually increases sociability, civic engagement, and the intensity of family and friendship relationships, in all cultures.” I would find this to be relevant today because it’s how people are connected to their education and how they are collaborating with other people. I liked that you pointed out how there’s a hiccup in this innovation and it’s in the form of people not knowing how to communicate with other people. I think the next question I ask is whether we will share this ‘magic’ with everyone, or with only a privileged few, or is this “magic” bad and should not be shared.

4. Billy 7 months ago

Erica, I completed agree with all the points you have made in your post. Technology is a very volatile element in our culture today and has its benefits and hindrances. You included an interesting quote from the Huffington Post that said, “children’s developing sensory, motor, and attachment systems have biologically not evolved to accommodate this sedentary, yet frenzied and chaotic nature of today’s technology.” Including this really helped to get the message across that we must not forget that managing our screen time is an important aspect in maintains good health. Thank you for sharing this article with us.