Q: What might be the effect of social media on younger kids in the future?

What I do know is that kids in the future will be impacted by social media because even young kids today are being affected by it because they believe everything that they see is true. Which in some cases, it’s not. One thing I would like to know is if social media will have a positive or negative effect on kids in the future.

There are two sides when it comes to talking about the future effects that social media may have on kids. Social media may have a positive effect because of the many accomplishments that could be done and a negative effect because there are inappropriate websites, cyber bullying and false information can impact the minds of young kids. Some positive sides when it comes it social media and kids is, kids can be creative and interact with one another and learn. “Social networking provides an alternative way to get students interested in learning with a new and previously unconventional medium (Rosen, 2011).” It also provides a leeway for kids who are shy, to a have a non threatening interaction with other kids online in a positive way. The negative aspects is young minds are moldable, and social media can mold the way a child thinks or behaves. The vastness of social media ensures that there is no control of the level of information given. Cyber bullying can have dangerous and potentially fatal effects and claims many victims each year. Also it can be a waste of time, spending too much time can also affect a child negatively and often lead to social media addiction.

I think that I would lean on the negative side for the future of kids and social media. When kids get older, they would not be able to interact with each other face to face, which is the first source of communication before technology. Also as young children,  they are more likely to believe that everything that they see on social media is true which we all know is not always the case. If we just put them through one way of interacting and communicating, it would really affect them long term because it’s not healthy to have one way of communicating and not being able to branch out in different ways. Although technology is a big part of living in today’s world, so it would be good if kids could learn at a young age how to use technology and social media in a healthy and good way.    

CC BY-SA 4.0 Effects of Social media on Kids in the Future. by Chidiogo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. EmmaC 3 months ago

Chidiogo,

I agree, many children are getting their hands technology when they are too young. This promotes children to stay indoors and stare at a screen all day. I am a student in high school and so my parents always tell me how they didn’t have technology when they were kids like we do now. An example could be me getting a phone when I was in seventh grade and my little sister got hers when she just got into fourth, this shows that as time goes on younger and younger generations are being introduced to technology. Today it is not uncommon to see toddlers watching their parents phones in your everyday stores. By introducing children to technology so young they will grow used to communicating through a text message rather than face-to-face. Thank you for your insightful post.

2. Mia 3 months ago

I am so so happy you wrote about this topic! I am personally very intrigued about the affects of social media on people. It is amazing how much society has changed just because of social networking. I think it is wonderful that you said that it is a great way for insecure, quiet, and awkward kids to put themselves into social situations. I found a wonderful clinical article on the impacts of social media on children, adolescents and families that I think you would find interesting. http://research3.fit.edu/sealevelriselibrary/documents/doc_mgr/1006/O'Keeffe_and_Pearson._2011._The_Impact_of_Social_Media_on_Children,_Adolescents,_and_Families.pdf
    It would be great to see you write an in-depth paper on this topic. If you did, please let me know and I would love to read it!

3. Anna 3 months ago

I have also wondered about the effects of social media on kids in the future, and even on ourselves, as we are the first generation to experience the limitless world of social media. I agree with you, I think social media has a negative effect on kids. It prevents them from learning crucial social skills since all communication is online. I think you may find this article interesting, http://college.usatoday.com/2012/10/11/opinion-why-social-media-is-destroying-our-social-skills/. It is about social medias affect on our social skills. However, you were also persuasive in saying that it is also a great tool that connects people together from all around the world. I look forward to reading more from you Chidiogo!

4. Lexi 3 months ago

I agree with what you are saying, Chidiogo. I think that having such access to technology can lead to unhealthy habits, as well as bullying over the internet. I think that if it can be used in moderation , as well as respectfully, then it can be used to our advantage, but it is incredibly dangerous to risk it.