I always wondered what the Earth would look like if humans suddenly stopped existing. This thought has always intrigued me. As I sat looking out my window at the valley I live in, I wonder what would it look like if we all disappeared? Would there be a lot more trees? Would the Great Salt Lake and other lakes become bigger? These and other questions I think about. For now, this topic cannot be researched. Scientists now can only use logic from what they know about how objects/living organisms, interact with other objects/living organisms (oxygen and metal, plants and houses) and how long things will take to decompose and/or be destroyed.

From this article by the Discover Magazine, they predict that bridges in New York will last for at least 100 years before the bolts are broken down. And animals like bears and coyotes will go down to the city. And they also made a timeline what will happen in New York over the years. The article is a pretty interesting read.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Earth after Humans by Tanner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Noah 3 months ago

Tanner,

I thought the article you attached seemed familiar to me and I knew why once I saw the author. Alan Weisman turned this idea into an entire book called The World Without Us which I recently read, I’d recommend it to you if you want to see a cool breakdown of what exactly would happen in a world without humans. I think that people only see science as something that can or should be used for practical knowledge, for solving the world’s problems. But what’s the point of learning about the natural world if you don’t use it to answer big questions? I think the “earth after humans” questions is an example of what would otherwise be a philosophical question becoming scientific as humans learn to understand their world more, which is weird to think about.

2. Issa 4 months ago

Dear tanner
    I am fascinated about your topic “Earth after Humans” because I believe that many people have asked themselves the same questions and also most every movie or TV show have a different perspective of how the would would be after humant get extinct. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Would there be a lot more trees? Would the Great Salt Lake and other lakes become bigger? These and other questions I think about.” I think this is important because that’s what I imagine will happen and that what many movies show or predict will happen. Another sentence that I thought that was interesting was: “From this article by the Discover Magazine, they predict that bridges in New York will last for at least 100 years before the bolts are broken down..” This stood out for me because I don’t believe this because a 100 years is a long time and the bolts would rust and fall off in maybe 50 years. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your topic is very interesting and i really want to see what happens.

3. Sovann 4 months ago

Tanner,
    This is a very interesting question, you really made me think about it. TV and other media sources have not explicitly answered this question, but they have given their ideas to the subject with post-apocalyptic, humans living in space instead of Earth, and many other scenarios. I hope that it doesn’t come to a point where humans have to flee Earth to survive, but rather we fix our mistakes and help heal the Earth. Our choices don’t only affect us, they affect the Earth, the animals, and the plants. If humans did disappear, I agree that animals would inhabit cities and plants would take over the buildings, slowly the Earth would start to heal itself. Maybe the ocean and sky would become clearer, the air more pure. Stars would shine unhindered by smog down upon the Earth and the ice caps would slow their melting. This is only my idea of what could happen and I loved how much your piece made me think.