,

According to guardian.com the rate of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) has increased drastically in the past ten years. Numerous studies conveyed by universities and psychologists have tried to correlate the increasing use of social media sites like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat with the increase of NPD. However, the use of these social sites and millennial’s narcissistic behavior cannot be so easily related.
Psychologist Ciaràn Mc Mahon says, “Academics argue over the data and how it’s measured. On balance, there is an increase in narcissism, and there has been an increase in social media use. But it’s not completely clear if there is a correlation.”. He then goes on to say, “It could be that there’s a wider cultural increase in narcissism in the west that’s then reflected back in social media. For social media to have become so popular there has to have been pre-existing narcissism.”.
The question of whether we post selfies for personal gain or because they have become such a large part of our generation’s societal norm still stands. Do we have social media to blame for our selfishness or is our narcissistic behavior solely a part of who we are?
narcissistic  photoPhoto by thedailyenglishshow

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who’s to Blame? (Me, Myself, and my followers?) by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.