The United States has always bragged about being the best, however, when it comes to the teaching of math and reading they aren’t even in the top five, as of 2011. Some countries that out perform the US in reading are Finland, Hong Kong, and Singapore. But there are other countries that aren’t better than the US that we can learn different ways to teach a more productive reading style.

In an article from the Washington Post, they wrote about how Singapore and Finland do reading right. Singapore used to track their students progress through testing. They have more recently started moving towards a more creative learning, and they have given more incentive for teachers and education. One thing that Singapore has though that America doesn’t is a small amount of students. Finland, unlike Asian countries, assigns less homework and encourages more creative play. They focus on the equality of their students and doesn’t encourage competition. Also, teachers are very important. They must have at least a master’s degree, get generous pay, and are given a lot of responsibility.

Laura Lambert wrote an article that focuses on what other countries do right in teaching reading. China, for one, fosters the love of reading in people from a young age in a program called The Stone Soup Happy Reading Alliance (SSHRA). They have a three step approach, 1) have a lot of books available, 2) have time to read, and 3) faculty/staff who love to read themselves. Another country that teaches reading in an interesting way is South Korea. They teach their students how to read in another language (English) in the third grade. Being able to read in another language is a boost to a child’s brain and can help later in life by making it quicker, better able to resolve conflicts, and many more things.

Many countries have different ways of teaching different subjects. If these ways of educating where taken into consideration, or maybe integrated into the United States then it could help improve their stance worldwide, maybe in even more than just reading.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Other Countries Can Teach Us about Reading by Sara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Cicely 6 months ago

Hi Sara,
    Your post really caught my attention. I believe reading is a vital part of life; it gives us insight into other people’s thoughts and helps us understand things beyond ourselves. While I adore reading, I know many people find it trivial. I believe there should be a bigger emphasis on reading from a young age. Understanding that there are other ideas ion the world than your own is important, but so is being aware of those ideas. Adults showing enthusiasm for reading will ignite the reading flame in kids. In an article I found, adults read Dr. Seuss to children at school. These adults read with genuine happiness. This small action can instill a love for reading at a young age which can be carried through life. Thank you for your post, I look forward to hearing more from you.

2. Hailey 6 months ago

I really like this idea, Sara. I have often thought about what a different place the world could be if Americans could accept the learning styles of other countries that have proved to be successful. There is always the notion that the U.S. does thing better, but I can appreciate the other ways countries have reached success with improving reading levels. I also enjoyed how the idea of reading led into a new conversation of what standard teachers are held to in other places, and how we could value them more here. Particularly, the idea I found interesting was that elsewhere teachers have to get at “least a master’s degree, get generous pay, and are given a lot of responsibility.” If you are looking to find more on the topic of ways the U.S. could learn more about education techniques from other countries, I would look at these articles: one and Due to my travels, I believe that when people take the time to have conversations with different people from various areas, there is much to be learned. I loved how you presented information, and the flow in this piece, and I look forward to reading more from you in the future.