My name is Mauro Delpino and I am working on my senior project  Did you know that 56.6% of Charter Schools are located in cities? This identifies that half of schools are charter schools. Assuming that the other half is public schools, more money goes to charter schools and not public schools. Charter schools only take in certain students but not all. However, public schools take everyone despite their social status so public schools should have more funds. My topic for senior my senior project is: To what extent do charter schools affect urban students in Oakland, California?

I chose this topic because I currently attend a urban public school. I do not appreciate the lack of resources and support my school has. The school has the potential to have a great program but we do not have enough funds. I chose this because it is very personal to me because it affects me and my peers.

I had to research my topic and find 4 important sources to back up my issue:

The first one I found was a website, I found a map of the public charter schools found in Oakland, CA. I found 48 Oakland Public Charter Schools and it identifies the amount of schools that I am referring to.

The second one is a youtube video titled “Charter Schools: Last Week Tonight WIth John Oliver .”  This video explains the pros but mostly cons of Charter Schools in general.  I used this because it comes from a different perspective other than Oakland natives.

The third one is an academic source titled  “Let The Numbers Have Their Say .”  it was posted by  Center for Education Policy Research At Harvard University. It provides the reader with info on school funding and how a charter school functions.

I found a news article titled,  “A Dozen Problems with Charter Schools.”  and it identifies that there are many problems with Charter Schools.  It gives the readers an insight with the problems with the leadership, school system and funding.

Thank you for reading my blog

I need the help of audience to further my research

Please Comment Feedback

CC BY-SA 4.0 Moment of Truth (Feedback) by Mauro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 7 months ago

Mauro,

What an interesting topic you have chosen for your English project. I, personally think that this is a good thing to research. I would definitely study the major causes and effects of going to a charter school versus a public school, and make the comparison. It is data analysis like this that can bring issues to people’s attention. When you said,”The school has the potential to have a great program but we do not have enough funds. I chose this because it is very personal to me because it affects me and my peers,” I was reminded of how many people this reality can affect. It is unfortunate when the only thing needed to fill the potential of something that could be really great is money. If it came to it, what would be your plan of going about changing the situation in order to fix the problem? Here is a link that has something to do with your topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_funding . I hope to hear more of this issue and ways the government could go about fixing it from you.

Thank you,
    Sophia

2. Thomas 8 months ago

Mauro, this is definitely an interesting topic. I like that it is personal to you, since that makes you more motivated and passionate about it. The way I understand your topic is that charter schools, although they have less students than public schools, have more money and resources. One website I found that may help you in your research is https://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/public-private-charter-schools/ . I hope to read more of your work on this topic in the future.

3. Mia 8 months ago

Mauro, it would make sense that 56% of the nation’s charter schools are located in the cities because that is where the most people live, which can be related to diversity of interests leading to the benefit of charter schools. This is a quite peculiar interest that you have, but I am all ears to hear about how charter schools take away from the public school systems. As a matter of fact, I actually was unaware that charter schools were limiting the resources and funds of public schools. I was drawn to reading this article because I have never read much on the differences between public and charter schools. I have had friends who have gone to both public and charter schools, and there didn’t seem to be too much of a difference on the surface of both. To further your research, I challenge you to further explain the differences of public and charter schools. What are your teachers’ opinions on this issue? If possible, ask charter school teachers questions on why they think charter schools “deserve” more funding and resources. Maybe try to find what the government has to say on this issue. I encourage you to read through the article I found which explains many differences between charter and public schools and some reasons as to why things are the way they are.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/americas/2017/05/charter-schools-public-schools-false-choice-170530042023466.html
    This will be a very interesting final paper to read through, and I hope you the best with your research. It would be amazing to see behind the scenes of why public schools, who cater to the majority, are not treating their students with equality of opportunity.

4. Erica 8 months ago

Mauro,

That is a very interesting subject. I liked how you said “charter schools seem to be draining money from the public schools and limiting the resources available to students like you.” It makes your argument more personal. However, I also think you could add another aspect to your research. Have you considered adding how teachers feel about teaching in charter schools? I think this aspect would really expose the point you are trying to make about charter schools. Also, I found a source that you could look into about how teachers feel about working at charter schools. I look forward to reading your research project because I think it will be interesting to see this new perspective on charter schools.
    (http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/teachers-and-teaching-at-charter-schools)

5. Hunter 8 months ago

Mauro,
    Thanks for your information, I enjoyed this article. One issue with it, however, is that just because “56.6% of Charter Schools are located in cities”, it is not certain that fifty percent of the city’s schools are charter schools. This doesn’t necessarily mean that public schools get more funding, so the issue is certainly still a major one, but I would make sure that your research includes accurate logic in your arguments. I am personally very concerned for the public school system and its lack of funding, as well. What do you think could be done to fix the problem? Do you think higher taxes on certain groups would be beneficial to your school, and others like it?
    Here is a great source for you: http://www.in-perspective.org/pages/finances
    I look forward to hearing back from you.

6. Treyvon 8 months ago

This is a very intriguing concept Mauro,
    I like how you are incorporating something that you have personally been affected by into your assignment. What you are saying about the lack of funding that charter schools in your area recieves is an important issue that should be addressed. Something that could be included in your text is a way to provide support for these schools, specifically the one you attend. How can you shed awareness on the lack of resources your school provides? What can be done to improve the spending that these charter schools need?
    I have found an article that may help to show what it takes to improve a school’s budget, as well as spending.
    http://educationnext.org/breaking-down-school-budgets-2/
    Thank you for your ideas, and I hope you continue to write because the way you posed this article was astounding. Best regards

7. Anna 8 months ago

Hello Mauro,
    I think what your asking is a legitimate question. Why are schools funded differently (and I read your final source (https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-36074750.html) so I can add) when they don’t out preform the other? Education is something that is very important and something everyone has to do. When you said, “The school has the potential to have a great program but we do not have enough funds. I chose this because it is very personal to me because it affects me and my peers,” I was actually kind inspired by how much faith you have in your school and your hope for improvement. Before reading your article I hadn’t really thought all that much about public vs. charter. I found this website http://ashbrook.org/publications/oped-moore-06-charter/ very helpful in breaking down what a charter school was and how it differs from a private school. It is odd that a public institution can turn down anyone, but if you think about colleges, one has to apply and not everyone gets accepted even to their state’s university. So, in your opinion is that okay, or at least make charter schools turning people down okay? Or are they acting too much like a private institution? I want to thank you for bring this topic up. I think it is very interesting and would like to read more.

8. Eric 8 months ago

Hey Mauro! Your topic, the effect of charter schools on public school spending, is fascinating to me. We are all required by law to go to school, so why do some schools get more than others? It really stood out to me that you noted that the small amount of charter schools seem to be draining money from the public schools and limiting the resources available to students like you. The bold font really made your post easy to read and piece together.

When I looked through your cited sources, specifically the website (https://www.greatschools.org/california/oakland/schools/?st=charter.) and used the “Refine Search” button to search for charter schools and public schools, I found 48 public charter schools and precisely 100 public district schools in Oakland. Checking your math at the top; 48 public charter schools + 100 public district schools = 148 publicly funded schools; 48 charter / 148 publicly funded = .3243, or 32.4% of publicly funded schools are charter schools. This statistic makes your post even scarier than it has been, that such a small percentage of publicly funded schools (less than a third) are charter and those charter schools receive disproportionate funding.

I also found another source for you to consider: the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) claims several interesting counterpoints to what you observe, most notably that charter schools receive about $600 less per student than a traditional public school.

I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with this topic! Your position could be very strong especially if you can prove what the CCSA says is wrong. Thank you for your wonderful post!

Eric

9. Javier 8 months ago

Dear Mauro :
    I am surprised by your post, “Moment of truth,” because it affects the community as a whole and the funds charter receive should be reduced and public schools should have in increase in funds because they accept a larger range of students and hold a higher student population.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I chose this topic because I currently attend a urban public school. I do not appreciate the lack of resources and support my school has. The school has the potential to have a great program but we do not have enough funds. I chose this because it is very personal to me because it affects me and my peers.” I think this is personal and great because it shows you are motivated by your own impulse to make a change.
    Another sentence that I enjoyed : “ Assuming that the other half is public schools, more money goes to charter schools and not public schools. Charter schools only take in certain students but not all..” This stood out for me because I had no idea that about half of the schools in California were Charter schools.
    Your post reminds me of something that I have seen. I notice that soccer teams in the OUSD District are less equipped than those of charter schools.Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to learn more about your topic.