Would I still be the same person I am today if I lived somewhere else?

Depending on where a person grows up will determine who they are. In an article I read about the environment, it states that people are influenced by their environments and who they associate themselves with. If a person associate with someone who will always say positive things and is an optimistic person than the person will also most likely be an optimistic person. The article I read used an example of cold coffee and hot coffee, “The students who had held a hot cup of coffee were significantly more likely to describe the hypothetical individual as ‘warm and friendly’ than the students who had held an iced coffee.” Similar to the idea of living in bad neighborhood compared to a good neighborhood. By living in a bad neighborhood, the chance of a person becoming pessimistic is more likely than a person living in a good neighborhood.

In another article I read, it reported that people who live in mountainous states like Washington, Utah, Idaho and Montana are more likely to be introverts and would rather live by a mountain than people who live in flat terrains like Iowa and Texas who are extroverts and rather be by beaches. There’s no possible way to know for sure if an environment can change you, but there are strong indications that an individual variable with the physical variable of our surrounding can influence how we feel, what we do and how we think about our lives. Our community can help shape who we are as a person.

“When you visit a place you used to live, these cues can cause you to revert back to the person you were when you lived there.Our homes and cities help identify who we are as a person. By moving to a different community, a person identity might also change. The place a person grows up will always retain an iconic scene. By moving from Glendale to Taylorsville, I realized that my personality has changed. I was not a kid anymore who will go play outside with neighbors. By moving I matured from being a kid. I also did not play outside as often when I moved to a different community mainly because there was no one else to play with besides my family. I moved from a primarily family-apartment to a neighborhood with elders and adults.   

A physical environment also brings back memories. By visiting a place you once use to live at, memories of living in that place reappears. If I envision an area that I use to be at, the more likely my thoughts are to lead me there. One thing that always bring back memory about my old apartment is going to Mcdonald almost every day to get a water cup and chill. I will go with my group of friends and we all had bikes so we will ride to Mcdonald which was across the street from the apartment. “Whether or not we are always aware of it, a home is a home because it blurs the line between the self and the surroundings, and challenges the line we try to draw between who we are and where we are.” 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Community affects Personality by Christopher is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.