Did you know that about 1.1 million children are out of school and 69% of them are girls, Hi my name is Issa Aldahmi and my project is about women’s education in yemen, men have the most power over the issue because they decide what women should and should not do. Many girls are forced into young marriage and they are forced to drop out of school to take care of the house and their family, and on top that 2 years ago the Yemen Civil War started and some effects are that there were more than 3,000 schools destroyed and this made even more girls and boys to leave school.

I chose this topic because nobody knows how much it is affecting women and only a small amount of people are trying to help out and yemen is small country and big countries are not paying attention to how we are being affected and I see education is a big part of everyone’s life.

In a website called  Yemeni Women’s Uphill Struggle for Education it talks about how some women don’t have a choice and they have to drop out for their families and there are not enough schools that are close to people and how they have to travel to go to school and some people don’t have the money to go at a certain school or a close school and it’s not fair i think we should just build more school. A second sources, a news article called Girls in yemen still less likely than boys to go to school  and it talks about about the different percentage of men and women who attend school in yemen and it is mostly men and less women and  it also  talks about some of the reasons that women for example family work or early marriage.

In an Academic source called  Education in Yemen Struggles after More than a Year of Conflict, it talks about how the yemen civil war has affected over 1 million children to stop going to school and women are being affected more because before the war the women percentage was way less than men who go to school and it has gotten even worse with the war. In another source, a film called In Yemen, Breaking Barriers to Girls’ Education it talks about how some girls have to get out of school and do housework and take care of the house and it’s unfair because they should be getting their education but instead they stay at home or getting married in a young age. And it also talks about possible solutions that can help with getting girls to go back to school.

Hi Youth Voices community, i would really appreciate your support and feedback on my topic please comment any feedback and tips to help me further my research thank you for reading about my topic.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Asking For Feedback (Capstone) by Issa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 2 months ago

Issa,

I think that your topic is a very interesting one, and your statistics and back story are very moving. I have heard of girls in many countries having a lack of opportunities like going to school, and I have heard of young women being forced into marriages. I had not yet realized what a major issue it is in Yemen. These situations are atrocious and need to be fixed. It is amazing that people like you, who know of the issue, are working to spread awareness of this, even if it is as simple as an English assignment. I believe that this is the first step to involving the world community to a much greater depth in solving this problem. What are ways you can think of that would go towards fixing this issue? I would be very interested to hear more from you on this truly unfortunate reality that so many people live in today. It would be very interesting to hear your ideas on solving a problem of this magnitude. Here is a link that is connected to your topic: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/key-facts-war-yemen-160607112342462.html In fact I sort of think this link serves as an example of the lack of effort to bring education to these children that our world is putting in. It makes no reference to the absence of opportunities residing in academics that these kids face. Thank you for your contribution, and I hope to hear more of this topic from you.

2. Tanner 2 months ago

Hi, Issa. I think this a great topic to research because we do not hear about this in the media and many of us don’t realize what is going on in Yemen. Because Yemen is a small country, we never think about the problems the country has, and never think about what the people there go through everyday. I found this article that talks about the overall problems from the war. This article says more young girls are getting married at a faster rate than before the war. It is sad to hear such things that are going on in the world and many people don’t even know! What can we do to help the females in Yemen succeed from the inequality of their country? I am interested to read about this topic in the future!
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yemen-child-marriage-war_us_58daa5f0e4b07634059fa6e2

3. Logan 2 months ago

Issa, this a fantastic project, especially because you have focused on the issue in a particular country. I think women’s education is such a big issue that it can be difficult to cover all the points, and so you’ll really be able to get a full scope by focusing on one location. I like how you gave specific numbers, because it makes your case much stronger. It’s crazy how many schools have been destroyed by the civil war, a war which I’ve heard almost nothing about. I think you should check out http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/04/11/yemen-breaking-barriers-to-girls-education, which contains some first-hand accounts from women on yemen, as well as a video on the topic. I hope you can spread the word on this issue, and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

4. Billy 2 months ago

Issa, your topic choice is very interesting as it brings to light an issue that seems to be widely ignored. Because Yemen is such a small country, there doesn’t seem to be much effort being put forth to solve issues there such as women’s rights or education. I also did not realize that 69% of girls did not attend school. Thank you for bringing this fact forward as it has helped to set the stage for how dire this problem is. I would suggest checking out the Yemen Peace Project, as they are making great strides in improving problems such as this. Thank you sharing this with us and I look forward to seeing what you write in the future.

https://www.yemenpeaceproject.org/

5. Christopher 2 months ago

Issa, this topic for sure took my interest. I think its very interesting that in Yemen girls do not get as much authority as boys. I liked how you brought up something that is happening outside of the Untied States and how it deals with education. Many people from the United Sates will focus on US issues, but you brought up an issue in a country thousands of miles away, with the addition that is a small country as well. One particular quote I liked is “I chose this topic because no one knows how much its affecting woman” because although I’m not a woman, I believe everyone should have the same opportunity to succeed. I found a website that does try to help give back to the people in Yemen (https://www.usaid.gov/yemen/education) in which you might be interested in. Anyways, I’m excited to see what you write in the future because this comment took me by surprise and could help others realize how fortunate they are to live in a place with education.

6. Hunter 3 months ago

Issa, you’ve definitely chosen an interesting topic, thanks for sharing. I want to say that your research so far has been eye opening for me. I had no idea that since the Yemen Civil War “there were more than 3,000 schools destroyed”. That’s a shocking figure, and I certainly did not expect to see such a horrific statistic about education, even in a war-torn state like Yemen. I truly hope that these women get all of the opportunities they can, but how do you think this can be fixed? I understand that there is probably very little we can do, but if it were to happen, how do you think it would? I really look forward to seeing how this project develops.
    Additionally, here is a great source for you, it has a positive outlook on the issue you’re talking about: https://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2014/06/yemeni-womens-uphill-struggle-education/
    Best Wishes.

7. Alexandria 3 months ago

Hey Issa! You chose a pretty interesting topic. I think you made a very good point about Yemen, and how it’s being ignored because it’s so small. Playing power factors a lot into politics and how much attention the rest of the world will give. As a small country, Yemen doesn’t have a lot of those things. You are bringing light to a serious issue, and you backed it up with statistics and sources. I think you should add more about response. What can be done about what’s going on in Yemen? What has been done? How are beliefs and stereotypes about women playing into their continued oppression? How ingrained are they? Check out Yemen Peace Project to find out what’s being done to improve the situation. You’re great at picking topics; I’ll probably come back for that. I like to stay notified about things going on in the world.

8. Isa 3 months ago

Issa,
    I think this is a very important topic whether or not it is talked about a lot. I have heard some facts about the situation, but what you have said gives interesting information that I think everyone needs to know. It is crazy that women are still being treated unequally in our world today. However, if there was more awareness on the subject I believe people could contribute. I like that you wrote about this topic and hope that you continue to look into this so we can make a difference in the near future.

9. Ammar 3 months ago

Issa, I think this topic is very interesting for a senior project because not a lot of people do about girls education. I knew that women not going to school in yemen but I did not know that it was a big number. One sentence that stand of for me was ¨Did you know that about 1.1 million children are out of school and 69% of them are girls¨.I didn´t know that there was so many girls that didn´t go to school. this post affect me because I´m from yemen and i didn´t know about this

10. Caleigh 3 months ago

Hi Issa, I think this topic is very interesting and a very needed topic to discuss. This past summer I went to Thailand for a service trip, and I witnessed what it was like for impoverished countries to not care about women’s education. Its shocking that 1.1 million people in the world are currently not going to school and that roughly 70% of that million kids are girls. Also the fact that a lot of women are forced into marriage. I remember talking to some of the villagers and they were already talking about their marriage plans with a boy that their parents arranged at a young age. And they were only like 13 years old. I definitely agree that this topic needs to be talked about especially because in many countries including America women are seen as less then men, and are treated unequal to men. I have never heard of this ongoing issue in Yemen, but I am glad that you brought this to my attention. I hope this topic brings spark to peoples awareness of how Women are being treated in undeveloped countries, and they see the importance to start a change. I am excited to see what you write in the future!

11. Catherine 3 months ago

Issa, I think this is a really interesting idea for your capstone project. I know the basics about women not going to school and not having the same education opportunities as men, but I have never looked at this problem in Yemen, so reading this was an eye opener. All of your statistics and source citing helped to convey your point well and made the post both interesting and grounded in fact as opposed to opinion, which is, of course, really important. I don’t know much detail about Women’s education in other countries aside from the book I am Malala which I read in ninth grade and talking to my friend of mine from Nepal. I think this is a really cool capstone project idea, and I’m excited to see what you do with it in the future.