Greetings! My name is Epic J. Julian (Yes, Epic is actually my first name), I am a Junior (Even though students and staff keep thinking I’m a senior) at Rangeview High School in the beautiful but weather-unpredictable area of Aurora, Colorado. I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) since 2004. Neither my ASD and ADHD are as much of an impact on me now than it was several years ago, but I still carry some of the symptoms of it (Stuttering, repetitive movements, etc.), none of it being life threatening of course. The big turning point for me was when I met two game developers from Wargaming.net, as they have talked to me about their jobs and what I need to do in order to do their jobs well (Historical Research/3D Modeling) and have encouraged me to go down the route of video game design as a major and expertise in military vehicles and equipment history as a minor. (or whatever that minor degree is called.) My parents have been very supportive of me for a long time and they still support me in anyway that they can. I have spent a week in Anaheim, California and almost two weeks in Alamogordo, New Mexico, but I have lived in Denver and Aurora, Colorado for all my life.

I’ve had many school interests and courses that I have taken and liked. My current classes go as follows, Economics, English, Math, Ceramics, and Biology. Throughout my high school years, I have taken and really liked English, Physics, Chemistry, Drawing, Jewelry, French, and Speech/Public Speaking. I am still finding more classes that I could like and my goal is to take as many of the art classes as possible. As of right now, I’m on track to graduate in 2019.

Outside of school, I tend to do a lot of hobbies. I do Drawing, Gaming, Woodworking, Jewelry Making, and Storytelling. However, I’m really only decent at Gaming and Drawing and a beginner in Storytelling. I was taught how to draw by my father who’s a marketing director and artist at the mobile gaming company, Backflip Studios, even though I am getting better, I am not as good at drawing and painting as my father. The rest of the hobbies were either self taught or taught by my past teachers. In terms of gaming, I have taken part of many different Alpha, Beta, and Common Tests for various games from World of Warcraft to War Thunder. (Which is where the featured image is from) The Stories that I write are in the form of Fan-Fiction. It’s nothing inappropriate or anything, I tend to use these Fan-Fictions as experimental stories for knowing what to write, how the characters are structured in personality and appearance, and so on. Whenever I am able to, I try to help out my friends and family. Even though I still have a long way to go, I know that I will get the support from my friends and family for years to come. I’ve already had several crazy moments in my life, both good and bad, but I feel like I’m just getting started on the long road ahead of me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 About Me by Epic is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Logan 2 months ago

Epic (awesome name by the way), I think that being a video game designer would be an amazing job, and it’s awesome that your’e pursuing it. I game a little myself, and I am always impressed with the graphics and design. It’s a job where your work would be visible to millions of people, something that can’t be said about most jobs. It’s cool that you enjoyed physics and chemistry, those were two of my favorite classes as well, (and two of the hardest!) and as a game designer a background knowledge of things like that could definitely come in handy. I’d love to hear more of your story, and I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

2. Hunter 3 months ago

Hey Epic, thanks for sharing your story!
    I’ve personally been playing video games since the beginning of my memory, and I really dislike the notion that they’re destroying our generation. They’re such a cool way to express creativity, and even a great way to show off. I’ve never been much of an artist myself, either. The idea of creating 3D models and animating them — it makes me ill. I have nothing but respect for those who can do it, and in particular, those who can do it well. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I hope you are immensely successful, and one day, I hope to see your name in the credits of an amazing video game.
    I appreciate your notion of “just getting started on the long road ahead…”, because I think it’s simultaneously terrifying and immensely exciting. We can make anything of ourselves, and I am very glad that you are able to leave your “disorders” behind you. Being different can be a superpower, so I hope you find comfort in that.

Best wishes,

Hunter

3. lonnell 3 months ago

I like how you talked about your hobbies and interests because i like the same things you do. I like how you talked about your experience meeting developers from wargaming.net. one thing that stands out to me is that you said”I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) since 2004. Neither my ASD and ADHD are as much of an impact on me now than it was several years ago, but I still carry some of the symptoms of it (Stuttering, repetitive movements, etc.), none of it being life threatening of course.” I really respect how you dont let it effect you and you life life with your head high.

Epic 3 months ago

Thanks man 🙂 It’s cool to see someone else with similar hobbies and interests, even though it can be hard to live with something like ASD and/or ADHD, you shouldn’t let that influence you in a negative way, if you’re gonna let it influence you, let it be in a positive way. I see ASD and ADHD as features of my personality rather than roadblocks in my life.I have seen many posts on YouTube and Facebook that joke about and made fun of those who have disabilities in general, but I don’t let these kind of people influence who I am. I’ve learned to live with my disabilities in my own way, along with the support of family and the few friends I had back then (How I did I rather not talk about since it’s very personal.) and it’s help out a lot. I don’t really expect anyone to follow my example with dealing with their own disabilities whatever it might be, but I do hope I at least have set a new path for future and current generations to follow.

4. Maria 3 months ago

Dear Epic,

I am intrigued and excited by your story, I am glad that you shared it with people; I have to say I am proud of how well your doing (even though I don’t really know you) and getting a job that most people would dream of having. Most people with disabilities try avoiding to do the things they dream of doing or want to do, I think of you as someone they can follow to least try things they’d like or to just have fun with life. About your drawing, I think if you focus on whatever you’re trying to draw and start moving your hand I think you’ll get it, “you don’t have to be the best when you can try your best,” something I usually remember when I’m thinking too hard. But keep doing what your doing Epic, you’ll do fine.

Regards,
    Maria

Epic 3 months ago

Dear Maria,

Thank you for the really nice comment you made. I’m glad you found my story intriguing and exciting, it took me a while to get this post out because of what I wanted to write, especially that little bit about my ASD and ADHD. As I replied on Lonnell’s comment, I see disabilities like ADHD, ASD, and so on as features of my personality rather than a roadblock in my life and that it should be a positive influence on how it defines you rather than being a negative impact on the rest of your life. A lot of the art I do is influenced by either anime or the games I play, and the same things influence the fan fictions I try to write. I was taught also to not be the best if I try my best, it’s really learning the skills decently as my number one priority for certain hobbies like drawing and storytelling. I do have one tip for those who want to get into storytelling, if you are wanting to get into storytelling, play RPG tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons as a Dungeonmaster. I learned that the Dungeonmaster role really helps a lot when learning to tell stories, especially when you begin to make your own stories. If you’re wanting to see a fanfiction story I’m working on or any of my art that I’ve made, my two emails are above this article and below the featured image. I hope you have a good day ahead of you.

Regards,
      Epic J. Julian