stress photoI chose my personal questions, “what causes all my stress?”. The reason I chose this is because the past three years of my life have been lived on at least three hours of homework a night and four hours of sleep barely able to function throughout the day. This stress causes almost all the rest of my problems in my life currently, whether that be bad health or mental health, or poor grades, which I somehow manage to maintain grades, or even a poor social life. The only real facts I know about this stress is that school is the main cause and it causes an imbalance in my physical and mental states.

I want to know the hard facts about stress in teens and how it affects us mentally and physically. I want to know what’s the leading factor of this stress. Also how can you prevent it from happening to you or others. How can you tell if someone is experiencing this stress?

According to an article written by Understand.org, a main factor to teen stress is the pressure to perform and succeed. They said “Kids who’ve struggled in school for many years often come to highschool with a history of setbacks.” meaning kids aren’t mentally prepared for failure or what to do if it happens, putting a lot of stress on the teens shoulders. Another article done by Healthline stated that health problems from stress can range from headache and stomach ache to increased depression and heart attack. These problems are at a much higher percentage in teens, 54% to be exact(article done by USA today).

CC BY-SA 4.0 The stress of highschool by PJ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Hailey 3 months ago

Interesting comment, PJ. I have also felt the pressure coming from school, parents, and activities. I also feel that “stress causes almost all of my problems in my life currently.” Itoday’s world, many teens are facing intense amounts of stress, and find I hard to deal with, which leads to many health problem, as you stated. These two articles will give you more insight of how to deal with stress: https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress-teens.aspx and http://fosteringresilience.com/what_is_stress.php. I feel that stress is bad in high increments, so take frequent breaks and allow yourself to rest instead of persistent stressing. I appreciate you writing so thoughtfully about a personal issue, and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

2. Daijah 3 months ago

Dear PJ,
    i am interested in this post because I can relate to this as a high school student myself. I often get less sleep than you do just cause i have a busy schedule. Stress is a big factor in why teens start to act up, not only in school but their personal life. one thing that stands out for me is when you said, “his stress causes almost all the rest of my problems in my life currently, whether that be bad health or mental health, or poor grades, which I somehow manage to maintain grades, or even a poor social life.” This interests me because this is something that happens with students throughout the year. It’s also interesting to know that you can realize why your grades are poor and how stress has a toll on you.

3. Alejandra G. 3 months ago

Dear Pj,
    I relate on many different levels on how you feel about the relationship between school and stress. My close friends are in sports and many are suffering from lack of sleep or a poor social life, not just with friends but with family as well. When you said “I want to know the hard facts about stress in teens and how it affects us mentally and physically. I want to know what’s the leading factor of this stress. Also how can you prevent it from happening to you or others. How can you tell if someone is experiencing this stress?” I believe it all depends on how a persons character is shape to know how they are stressed. I would also like to know how can we help our generation or the next improve in this area we now deal with.

4. Taylor 3 months ago

I am very interested into your article because I have many personal connections to this. I struggle with stress and lack of sleep so much because I do strive to become successful and do not want to have failure in my life.

5. Alexander 3 months ago

I was very interested in your article because I struggle with the majority of these issues. Also something that I relate to is that we as students struggle to maintain our grades or the amount of sleep that we get. As high school students there are some students that do work due to economical issues or in order to help their parents. Me as a student who also works struggles to sometimes maintain my grades or do homework and at the same time get the amount of hours of sleep in order to be able to manage to concentrate in school.

6. Paola 3 months ago

Dear Pj,
    I am interested in your post because I could relate to what you say. I’m also a high school student and I stress about school most of the time. One thing that stands out for me is, “The reason I chose this is because the past three years of my life have been lived on at least three hours of homework a night and four hours of sleep barely able to function throughout the day.” I think this is interesting because teenagers are barely getting any sleep just because their up all night cause of school doing homework and that’s one of the things that causes all of the stress.
    Regards,
    Paola

7. Eryn Pinkney 3 months ago

Dear Pj,
    I’m interested in your post because I can relate to this. One thing that you said that stood out to me was, “ This stress causes almost all the rest of my problems in my life currently, whether that be bad health or mental health, or poor grades, which I somehow manage to maintain grades, or even a poor social life. The only real facts I know about this stress is that school is the main cause and it causes an imbalance in my physical and mental states.” Your post relates to me because I stay up doing homework on a daily basis and it lacks my attention for a social life. I also relate to this because it’s hard to balance getting good grades and having a mental and physical ability if all I do is study every night. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
    Regards,
    Eryn Pinkney

8. Shaunte 3 months ago

PJ,

I am satisfied with your post because I can relate to this . I feel like a lot of students do suffer from depression just by going to school. Stress plays a big factor in lots of teens lives. One things that stands out for me is when you said ” This stress causes almost all the rest of my problems in my life currently, whether that be bad health or mental health, or poor grades, which I somehow manage to maintain grades, or even a poor social life. ” This interests me because while others fall behind on school with school being what they’re stressing about , you manage to maintain good grades regardless of your personal problems.

Regards,

Shaunte

9. Robert 3 months ago

I am interested in this post because I myself am a High School student and although I get more sleep than this person does, I do struggle with stress in High School due to the willingness to succeed.