What i know is that people are so reliant on their devices that they have a mini heart attack when they don’t have it with them. There are many studies that show that youths are very reliant on their phones and can barely function if they don’t have their devices that day.

What i learned is that In studies they said that without their phones youths feel like they have lost a limb, the phantom limb syndrome that is usually suffered by amputees. This leaves young people vulnerable because they almost can do day to day tasks without them, remembering phone numbers, doing simple math without the calculator app, and talking to people online instead of face to face.

What I learned was that at a young age kids are given a phone or a computer and they start to rely on that as it makes things easier. They get used to the ease of the internet and just the device in general because these devices are made to be like that so the kids don’t realize the dependance is forming and they learn to live with it as opposed to living without it.

Research:

The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/8458786/The-young-generation-are-addicted-to-mobile-phones.html

The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/17/nicholas-carr-are-we-becoming-too-reliant-on-computers

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Reliance on Technology by Ravi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. PJ 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    Your post was interesting to me because personally I have noticed as well that technology is constantly being more deeply integrated into our lives. Although the use of technology is a great convenience, I question whether it is becoming more harmful in the long term than helpful. You mentioned how “…young age kids are given a phone or a computer and they start to rely on that as it makes things easier.” and this was interesting to me because children right now are being exposed to very advanced technology such as Ipad’s and Iphone’s as toddlers and I, like yourself, am curious how that will shape their generation in the future. I think teenagers in my generation are dependent on technology but from my personal experience they can tolerate being away from their devices because it wasn’t as big of a part of our generation’s childhood. This is definitely a topic I will look further into. I’m looking forward to discussing this with you in the future

This article was pretty interesting to think about: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150709/TECHNOLOGY/150709895/growing-dependence-on-technology-raises-risks-of-malfunction

2. Dometrius 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    I am interested in your post because i agree with your thoughts. You also back them up with evidence that supports your thoughts. People are reliant on their devices, and its mostly young people because we’ve grown up with phones in our lives. One thing you said that stands out for me is “They get used to the ease of the internet and just the device in general because these devices are made to be like that so the kids don’t realize the dependence is forming and they learn to live with it as opposed to living without it.” I think this is interesting because companies design these devices to get us to depend on them on a day to day basis.

3. Simon 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    I agree with technology being too relied on by adults and also kids. We use them everyday and they can get addicting. They can be used for many great uses like finding the weather, messaging important people, making calls etc, but there’s a point when it is too much. Something that you said that stood out was that children don’t realize how bad and addicting it can get, it can get a part of our lives. Soon I believe we will rely on them even more then we do now.
    Regards.
    Simon Seltene

4. Oscar 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    I am interested in your essay because I can relate to this very well. You explain how kids but also adults rely on technology heavily. You proved very well why they do so. One thing you did was well was prove your perspective very well.

5. Jordan 3 months ago

This video included your opinion evidence for the source and was very well stated with tons of facts

6. Cindy 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “people are so reliant on their devices that they have a mini heart attack when they don’t have it with them” I think this accurate because people are so used to having their phones with them all the time, relining on them that when they have it taken away, most people have to throw a fit acting like they’ll never see it again. In this generation you’ll probably see almost every teenager with a type of device to use, and it won’t matter what type as long as you’re able to check your social media.

7. Justin 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    I am satisfied by your topic of kids rely on phones a lot, but however, I feel that they’re some kids who can handle not having their phone for a week. Maybe like those kids who’s parents do not allow their kid to have phones. What stood out the most was “this leaves young people vulnerable because they almost can do day to day tasks without them, remembering phone numbers, doing simple math without the calculator app, and talking to people online instead of face to face.”I feel I can handle without a phone since I lost my phone.
    Regards Justin.

8. Andrea 3 months ago

Dear Ravi,
    I agree with your opinion and how us kids rely on our devices. We make the device an everyday use, and can not go a few hours with out checking a tweet, a message, or a snap. But I also think that our devices are a great use, we find out a lot of news that way. We research and find answers quick. Even though it may not seem like we need them but in realitiy it is smarter than the human brain.
    Something that you said that stood out to me was ” get used to the ease of the internet and just the device in general because these devices are made to be like that so the kids don’t realize the dependance is forming and they learn to live with it as opposed to living without it. ” We at a young age don’t enjoy life and how important it is, we don’t go out for a walk without our faces looking down at our screen.