NASA has found multiple potentially habitable planets to humans in the universe, but more research is necessary to determine if any of them fit all requirements. The potential planets are all within the habitable zone of the star they revolve around, where the planet is not too far nor too close to their star, so the temperature range is close to that of earth’s. One planet, Kepler-186f, “Confirms that planets the size of Earth exist in the habitable zone of stars other than our sun.” However, Kepler-186f is toward the end of the habitable zone because it only receives 1/3 of the energy from its star as earth gets from the sun.

Perhaps the most crucial element to sustaining lie is water. There are several planets believed to possess liquid water beneath their surfaces, and many more that have water in the form of ice or vapor. Many planets inside and outside the Solar System are believed to have large bodies of water under the surfaces. Scientists using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope recently provided powerful evidence that Ganymede has a saltwater, sub-surface ocean, likely sandwiched between two layers of ice.” The four gas giant planets are also believed to have large quantities of water. The presence of alternate forms of water outside earth encourages that there is a habitable planet with similar composition to earth in the universe.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is there Another Habitable Planet in the Universe? by Mary is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Simon 3 months ago

Dear Mary, I am interested in your story because it is a topic that isn’t really covered about or talked about in science. Other planets that can sustain life is a topic that most don’t think can happen. The thought of being able to travel to these planets is fascinating. The planets could be back ups planets and could probably be developed to be just like Earth. One thing that you said that stands out to me is that you said there could be a “planet the same exact size as Earth”! This makes this more interesting because if a planet is the same size, there probably is similarities that we don’t know about. There’s even things that we don’t know about on this planet. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write about next because of the amount of detail and interest there is in these type of stories.
    Regards,
    Simon Seltene

2. Fernando 3 months ago

Dear Mary,
    I am very underwhelmed with your article. The universe is infinite so asking the question “Is there Another Habitable Planet in the Universe?” is just unnecessary. I was not intrigued. The title should be why our Earth is sustainable, since that’s what was being explained.

3. Jordan 3 months ago

this article was very good and i was very invested. This article had tons of facts and stated resources. in which i could check you facts

4. Emily 3 months ago

Dear Mary,
    Your post intrigued me with the topic of other habitable planets. Any topic that regards the future of space exploration and immigration always excites me. You gave excellent facts for to possibility of possible planets humans could live on in the near future.
    One thing that you mentioned that caught my attention was, “The four gas giant planets are also believed to have large quantities of water.”, I have never once heard of that fact but it is interesting. Your post has informed me of many things I had yet to learn about the future us humans have on other planets.
    Regards,
    Emily

5. Andrew 3 months ago

Dear Mary,

I am pleased to see the time and research you put into this article because with this you can spark a great conversation. The topic of other habitable planets can interest people to speak their opinion. It personally fascinates me that the possibility of there being another planet that could be habitable for our life, or even that other life exists. Arthur C. Clarke said "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." and I agree, hoping we can find other life.

One thing that stood out was that you mentioned Kepler-186f. This excited me because I had also heard about this planet and how it may have liquid water because it is within the habitable zone. This raises the possibility of there being extraterrestrials in the universe greatly.

Regards,
    Andrew Calderon

6. Epic 3 months ago

Greetings Mary! Your post is very interesting and it does get me thinking about how we could utilize ways to colonize planets with ease, as well as the thought of extraterrestrial life. This idea would also bring the thought of interstellar travel. Despite not having very many facts to support the post, your post and writing do show a lot of promise for good writing in the future, I’ll keep checking back on your posts, nicely done

7. Amanpreet 3 months ago

Dear Mary, I am interested in your post because I love the topic about the planet and I really enjoy learning new topics on the universe and it’s amazing that there is another planet in the universe that has the same habitat like ours. Scientists have been saying how there is another planet out there yet to be discovered. One thing that stands out to me is: “Perhaps the most crucial element to sustaining lie is water.” Did you mean sustaining life is water? Anyways, since water is very limited it is very difficult to find, there is barely any water on this earth and finding more on other planets seems very difficult. I also like how you added a reliable source aka NASA it shows that you did your research. I found this post to be very interesting.
    Regards, Amanpreet Dhillon

8. Christian 3 months ago

Your post consists of great points but I would suggest that you would add facts that are reliable and that give unexplained quotes from direct sources. Your writing opens up my curiosity about the vast galaxy there are with the amount of planets there are within the galaxy. Your points can give many new ideas to people who are interested in traveling to new planets and exploring space. There are a couple of flaws within your writing such as that human life spans do not last for thousands of years. The distance to another habitable planet would take thousands of years with our technology with have now. But maybe in the future when the human race evolves, human beings can have the technology to reach another planet within hours.

9. Huong 3 months ago

Dear Mary,
    I am interested in your post because the concept of habitable planets within the observable universe can possibly support the idea of extraterrestrial life. Also, the discovery of habitable planets can result in interstellar travel and these planets can act as plan B in case humans destroy our own home planet. However, the flaw in this idea is that these planets can be light years away and humans cannot live long enough to actually reach these planets. One thing you said that stands out for me is “The potential planets are all within the habitable zone of the star they revolve around, where the planet is not too far nor too close to their star, so the temperature range is close to that of earth’s”. I think that this is interesting because it challenges the idea that humans need exact conditions like Earth in order to survive. My theory is that humans have adapted to Earth’s conditions and if we were to be exposed to something different over a long period of time, we’ll eventually adapt and life will continue to exist.