Chosen Question: How do I define beauty?

What I know: Beauty can be subjective to everyone. But I think it’s important to to be objective in how you define beauty. Once you understand how a person is beautiful, you can show your love to that person that will make them happy. Things people point to describe how a person is can be: physical (how they look), social (how they interact around you), or personal (how they truly are around you). Obviously people who are better in physical appearance receive more praise, or people can make up for it in their social interaction, but I think people nowadays don’t understand the importance of personal beauty. It is what hold relationships together and how you can connect with that person and be with them forever. There can be also a very soulful thing about a person, a combination of everything above that just makes you infatuated. This will fade in time, but it can determine the start of a relationship.

What I would like to know: How my other classmates define beauty. What are some common agreements on types of beauty? Is there some science involved with it?

Research: Factors of beauty, multiple factors influence beauty; (bear in mind, this is research and not necessarily true) symmetry, having a face equal on both sides; finger length, if you have a long ring finger relative to index finger, it shows you have higher testosterone levels, meaning you are healthier (sperm count, cardiovascular system etc.); Women are unconsciously looking for a man who has a waist-to-hip ratio of 9:10 and are attracted to a partner with a big jaw, a broad chin, an imposing brow;
Research found that smiling females were rated as more attractive, whereas men showing happy emotions were rated as less attractive.

Science of beauty, whether a person is attractive or not comes down if they are a healthy mate who can produce offspring; we look at celebrities at a mark of how attractive a person should be; we do like people who look a lot like us, which would be a good genetic match

CC BY-SA 4.0 How do I define beauty? by Bobby is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Daijah Rodriguez 4 months ago

Dear Bobby,
    I am interested in your post because I expected the writing to be more of a personal experience/ personal point of view of beauty. When facts were added in your writing it was a turning point to have more than just an opinion in the writing. I personal view beauty the way you do i see more than looks in people. One thing you said that stands out for me “Beauty can be subjective to everyone.” I think this is intelligent because it’s a very true statement everyone goes based off their own opinion of people. Beauty is more of what’s inside you not how you are shown outside.

2. Andrea 4 months ago

Dear Bobby,
    I agree with what you said that most of us focus on the outside of someone and not what is inside. We judge someone with out knowing what is inside and the struggles within beauty. If everyone will stop focusing on what we see the community will be better. If we stopped judging one and other than we wouldn’t worry about people getting judged and not fitting in.
    Something that you said that stood out to me was, ” a mark of how attractive a person should be; we do like people who look a lot like us, which would be a good genetic match ” we make it seem if you do not look a certain way that you are not beautiful, but everyone is everyone has their own beauty within, some people just do not focus on personalities they base you off on how one looks. I hope society stops making it seem like you have to look a certain way to fit in.

3. Nealani 4 months ago

Dear Bobby,

I am interested in your post because I expected something a lot less scientific and you truly surprised me. Your use of facts completely turned this post around for me, and your personal view is similar to my own. One thing you said that stood out to me was “I think it’s important to to be objective in how you define beauty. Once you understand how a person is beautiful, you can show your love to that person that will make them happy.” I think this is intelligent because it really made me think. Beauty is the main core of our appreciation of others.