My favorite word in the entire English language would have to be igloo. It’s hard to pick a specific word to be my absolute favorite, but igloo is definitely in the top 5. Also, when trying to determine your favorite word,  you have to ask yourself, would a word you use frequently be your favorite word. I’m not sure, so I’ll just use one of my favorite words even if it is not used frequently.

I don’t actually like igloos. Just the thought of sitting inside a dome constructed of nothing but ice with only a small opening as an exit is enough to make me feel claustrophobic. That being said, the word igloo is probably one of my favorite words because it is so fun to say. The simple combination of the two syllables is enough to put a smile on my face everytime I say it. Not only is it a fun word to say, but I think it is interesting how our brains put further meaning behind it. For me, when I think about an igloo, it not only makes me feel claustrophobic, like I said previously, but it also makes me feel cold and makes me think of a frozen tundra. To me a simple word like igloo that can push my brain to feel and think about other things should be considered one of the best words. I’m sure there are other words that should be my favorite, but for right now, my favorite word is “igloo.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Favorite Word by Nick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ravi 9 months ago

Dear Nick, I enjoyed reading your post, reading about how specific words can be a trigger for feelings such as the feeling of claustrophobia or being cold is very intriguing because as you probably have never been in a igloo you still associate feelings and emotions with it which i found to very interesting.

2. Sam 9 months ago

Nick,
    I agree that it is strange to think that a set of letters can spark a feeling, like claustrophobia. It’s interesting that your favorite word provokes displeasurable feelings; the word itself is just too fun to say. It’s understandable to dislike igloos. They don’t really have anything going for them–just cold and confined. I like that you explain why you like the word, even though you don’t like what it is.

Thanks,
    Sam

3. Kyle 9 months ago

Dear Nick,

I am interested in your essay because I like how you think outside the box about your favorite word. One thing that stands out for me is:”, but it also makes me feel cold and makes me think of a frozen tundra.”. You don’t just talk about the way it sounds, you also talk about what goes in your mind when you say the word. I didn’t really notice this or look into this, but now that I think about it, I have a lot of different words that makes me think about different things when I say it. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your thinking is different from mine and I enjoy reading about what you think.

Regards,
    Kyle

4. Hailey 9 months ago

Dear Nick,
    I am intrigued by your post because igloo is also my favorite word. I love how it just rolls off the tongue. Igloo just sounds so weird but cool at the same time. I enjoy saying it as well.
    One thing that stood out to me in your writing was ” I don’t actually like igloos. Just the thought of sitting inside a dome constructed of nothing but ice with only a small opening as an exit is enough to make me feel claustrophobic.”. I think this is interesting because you love the word but hate what comes with it. I am also claustrophobic so I understand how it feels, but I think having your favorite word and something you hate associate with each other is very interesting and relatable.
    Thanks for posting,
    Hailey