One of science’s most debated topics is why we dream. There are several different possibilities as to why we dream. Psychology Today offers some of the leading theories: “Some scientists posit that dreaming has no direct function—but instead is a consequence of other biological processes that occur during sleep”. However, most scientists concur that dreaming does in fact have a purpose. Dreaming could be the brain’s way of reflecting on waking life. It could also be a method of balancing difficult thoughts. One of the more popular theories is that dreaming is “A form of consciousness that unites past, present and future in processing information from the first two, and preparing for the third.” (psychology today). 

However, no real consensus has been reached. It is clear though, that our waking life does have some effect on our dreams. Substance abuse, particularly alcohol, leads to confusing and disjointed dreams. Psychology Today says “The presence of frequent nightmares is associated with suicidal tendencies.” Many scientists say that our dreams reflect our primary emotion before we fall asleep. Whatever the case may be, dreaming remains one of the mysteries of the human mind.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dream On by Logan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Thomas 4 months ago

Logan, I enjoyed reading your discussion on dreaming. It’s a really interesting topic since almost everyone has this happen to them, yet no one really understands how it works. In my experience, I have a few dreams that I remember very well, even though I dreamed them possibly more than 10 years ago. I thought your information from Psychology Today was very interesting, including its theories on whether or not dreaming has a purpose. This reminded me of this article http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/dreaming-overview#1 from webmd.com. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this was very interesting to read.