Words are the way of the world. They allow us to communicate, express and feel like no other. Some words are for general use while others serve a special purpose and have specific uses. Some more than others, such as my favorite word, Schadenfreude. Schadenfreude is one of the most unique words I’ve ever come across. It’s a german word used in English because there is no translation for it. Schadenfreude roughly means to take pleasure in someone else’s misfortune. The fact that it has such a bizarre meaning, subject to german only, with no direct translation makes it my favorite. Plus it just sounds cool and is fun to say.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pleasure In Misfortune by Nate is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sam 3 months ago

Dear Nate,
    The German word Schadenfreude is a very interesting choice for your favorite word. I find that due to its tough translation into english that it is hard for some people to understand and describe but I think you did a very good job of portraying it. This word is very relatable in some situations for everyone, at one time or another everyone has laughed at someone getting hit or something of that nature. Overall I really enjoyed reading your post.

-Sam

2. alana 3 months ago

Dear Nate,
    I am satisfied with your post because the word Schadenfreude is a very unique word and the reason why it is unique is because there is no translation so it sounds both English and German. Also it is a very fun word to say and to hear. One thing you said that stands out for me is ” It’s a German word used in English because there is no translation for it. Schadenfreude roughly means to take pleasure in someone else misfortune.” I think this is confusing because you are basically saying the thing twice. The definition is very important but I think that you could rephrase the first sentence so that it doesn’t sound so vague. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, my brothers and I were playing outside and one of my brothers got hurt and it was very funny to watch. I laughed for quite a while and so did my brother so this situation was Schadenfreude.Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to hear/read a post from you that has a word that can not be translated.
    Regards,
    Alana

3. Isaiah 3 months ago

Schadenfruede is interesting because I am intrigued by how people find treasure in another person’s trash. This happens on a daily basis. One thing you said that stood out for me is when it said, “Words are the way of the world. They allow us to communicate, express and feel like no other. Some words are for general use while others serve a special purpose and have specific uses.” I think this is intelligent because words can make a big impact in our daily lives either in a positive way or negative way. Your post reminds me of my everyday school life because most drama starts by the usage of words which expresses society’s feelings for another. It also relates in a positive way because people say a lot of things that can boost the spirits of others which creates counselors, pastors, or motivational speakers.

4. Molly 3 months ago

Nate-
    Schadenfreude is such a descriptive word. I can see why you would have selected it. This is one of the most specific words! Next time I would be sure to say that you do not like to take pleasure in other’s pain. But still good overall.
    -Molly