Who knew I would actually be using this random word that I once came across? It was when I was lost in the depth of YouTube, watching whatever caught my attention at that second. Eventually, I clicked on a video titled “Walking across a pool of Oobleck.” Interesting right? So I clicked, to see what they were actually talking about. What I saw really invoked my love for science, so I spent the next thirty or so minutes watching various different videos regarding this wondrous substance called oobleck.

The word itself was invented quite informally. It’s from a Dr.Seuss book called, “Bartholomew and the Oobleck.” So what exactly is oobleck? Oobleck is a pressure dependant substance that behaves as a non-Newtonian fluid. This means it isn’t definitively a solid or a liquid, but somewhere in between. So applying a great amount of pressure onto the surface of this substance causes it to harden, sort of like it shifts more towards the solid side of the spectrum. Slowing dipping your hand in it would not change it’s properties so it would just feel like any other slimy liquid, but stepping on it and press down with the weight of your whole body will allow the liquid to hold you up and not sink in for a few seconds. This idea can result in some crazy creations, such as in the video I watched where a whole pool was filled with oobleck and people quickly ran across the pool, creating the effect that you can run across a liquid surface.

Other than the funny sound it makes in your mouth, the reason I chose oobleck as my favorite word is because of the science behind it.

Image Credit: http://researchparent.com/wp-content/uploads/oobleck-in-bowl.jpg

CC BY-SA 4.0 Oobleck by Tesh is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sidney 9 months ago

This article is interesting to me, on the fact that you mentioned the origin of the word oobleck and how you described on how it fascinated you. I like how you described the science behind how oobleck works. When you mentioned on how you were on the deep end of YouTube, it made me remember on how i do that when im bored.

2. Zaire 9 months ago

You had way to much free time on your hands.