“God I hate that word, it just makes my skin crawl.” When I think about my favorite word this is the first thing that comes to mind. The individual responsible for this is my aunt Sheila. It was a cool Thanksgiving day and myself and the rest of my extended family were at my grandmother’s house, as we always do. This particular Thanksgiving became special right before we started to eat. My cousin Ryan was dishing up his cranberry’s and while he was doing so he said with a deep raspy voice,” Eww these cranberry’s are so moist, I really hate the texture”, and without any hesitation my aunt Sheila responded,” Gugh that word makes me cringe.” That’s when all the fun started.

For the rest of Thanksgiving dinner my cousin would add the word moist to any part of his sentence just to antagonize his mother. He would say,” This turkey is so moist and mouth watering”, and,” Does anyone have a napkin my hands are moist?” Suddenly almost as if through telepathy the rest of the kids started to join in. After a while we would just start saying the word under our breaths to see if she would hear it and say anything. To this day we still will go up to my aunt and simply say the word moist and it makes her skin crawl. So I would say that moist is my favorite word because he brings back a great family memory that will always be with me.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Moist by Drew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maxwell 3 months ago

Hi Drew, I agree with your point, I also carry a mutual dislike for the word, “moist”. I think this is a general opinion across most individuals and I believe this is due to the way this word rolls off the tongue. The hard “t” combined with the preceding “s” is a recipe for a nasty sounding word. I also believe this is due to the nature of objects that this word tends to describe. When someone hears this word, it triggers a response within their brain that begins to replay every terrible noise of chewing, stirring mac ‘n cheese, and all things moist that lurk in the depths of a person’s sensory memory. I found this article that you may find interesting: http://mentalfloss.com/article/64984/science-behind-why-people-hate-word-moist