What should I presure in college for my degree, English or Biology, when applying to dental school and should I join a pre-dental program?

I know Pre-Dental programs, when applying to them, are easy to get into but staying in the program is challenging throughout college. Many Pre-Dental programs have specific requirements that students must maintain;

Starting in the 2017-2018 school year, you must meet the following requirements before evaluation:

• Completion of a minimum of 30 SLU residency credit hours
  • Overall cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better
  • Math/science (biology, chemistry, physics, math) GPA of 3.2 or better
  • Completion of all entrance requirements by the end of the evaluation year which includes the SLU equivalent for:
    • BIOL 1040 and BIOL 1060, Principles of Biology I and II
    • CHEM 1110 or CHEM 1130* w/lab CHEM 1115, General Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
    • CHEM 1120 or CHEM 1140* w/lab CHEM 1125, General Chemistry II Lecture and Lab
    • CHEM 2410 or CHEM 2430* w/lab CHEM 2415, Principles of Organic Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
    • CHEM 2420 or CHEM 2440* w/lab CHEM 2425, Principles of Organic Chemistry II Lecture and Lab
    • BIOL 3020, Biochemistry And Molecular Biology and BIOL 3040, Cell Structure and Function
      • or CHEM 3600**, General Biochemistry
      • or CHEM 4610* w/lab CHEM 4615 and CHEM 4620* w/lab CHEM 4625, Biochemistry I/II Lecture and Lab
    • PHYS 1310 w/lab PHYS 1320, Physics I Lecture and Lab or PHYS 1610** w/lab PHYS 1620, Engineering Physics I Lecture and Lab  
    • PHYS 1330 w/lab PHYS 1340, Physics II Lecture and Lab or PHYS 1630** w/lab PHYS 1640, Engineering Physics II Lecture and Lab
    • MATH 1300, Elementary Statistics with Computers or MATH 1510, Calculus I”

Requirements

I know that when being apart of such a program during college looks good when applying to dental schools later on after receiving your undergraduate degree.

Later upon investigation, I would say having a desired job career and a path in a professional program it can be very confusing, at times it’s very helpful to have a mentor to help guide you along the way. I’ve been fortunate enough to have my orthodontist be my mentor to help guide me along the way in college and in dental school when that time comes. My question is I’ve researched to the extent, was the statics of what majors a student takes in college and their association to a higher score on taking the DAT test  – “DAT comprises four sections: survey of the natural sciences (90 minutes), perceptual ability (often called the PAT, 60 minutes), reading comprehension (60 minutes), and quantitative reasoning (45 minutes). The mathematics of the quantitative exam is similar to that of the SAT”  for dental school and the statics showed that student’s having a major in English scored higher than those that majored in Biology or Biological Sciences. For me, I’ve enjoyed taking AP Literature and Composition with the tough teacher, who I very much accredit my very well score on the AP test and passion to enjoy reading and analyzing poetry, as well as looking deeper to tone and meaning to a piece of writing as a whole and extending that idea further. She pushed me into what now I love learning about which is English, and taking AP Biology this year I already like learning about organisms and how their genes are coded to best fit their environment and in large, how an organism’s drives biodiversity. I planned on majoring in English and getting a minor in Biology, but my orthodontist informed me on a very important advantage of getting a minor in business, because when I come back from dental school with my degree I would like to work for another company to get the feel of how a business of orthodontist’s work, but having a minor in business I feel would be important to running my own business, as well making  decision for practice I would like to have. My question is if I decide to go the University, which has a great business program, should I major in English and minor in Business while attending that school. By the way, my orthodontist is very successful in what he does but I understand that what he does will be different for me but he majored in business and got a minor in Spanish in college, for me I know I need to keep up with my biological terms as well analyzing lab reports to do well on the DAT Test. What should I major and minor?

For these purposes a smilier standardized test (The MCAT) is taken by medical students.These statistics looks at the score on the MCAT and the correlation it has to the the major that a student took during their undergraduate.

Statistics on MCAT which is “a standardized, multiple-choice examination created to help medical school admissions offices assess your problem solving, critical thinking, and knowledge of natural, behavioral, and social science concepts and principles prerequisite to the study of medicine.”

Is There a Correlation Between Major and

MCAT Score?

Is There a Correlation Between Major and MCAT Score

“It may not come as a surprise that more than half of all applicants to medical school majored in the biological sciences. There is a lot of biology in medicine after all. Humanities, on the other hand, doesn’t involve the same scientific knowledge (although students still have to take the basic prerequisite courses to apply for medical school). As a result, students often think that humanities majors are at a disadvantage when it comes to the science topics on the MCAT. When you compare the MCAT scores between humanities majors and biological sciences majors, you can see that is not the case. Humanities majors do just as well if not better on the science sections of the exam. In addition, humanities majors also have a higher average verbal reasoning score.

Does Your Major Matter?

While this table may suggest that there is a correlation between major and MCAT score, there is more to this than just numbers. First of all, this table only includes data for applicants and matriculants. There is no information provided for all of the test takers. It may be possible that a bunch of humanities major do poorly on the exam and just choose not to apply. Second, medical school admissions committees are very clear that students can apply with any major. In fact, choosing a non-science major can make you stand out as an applicant. Finally, college is a time for you to explore your own personal interests. You don’t want to choose a major that will make you miserable for four years. If you have a passion for a certain field of study, you should pursue it.

Hopefully you now understand that your choice of major doesn’t really matter. However, you still need a good MCAT score to get into medical school. So as you begin your MCAT prep, make sure to read the Top Tips for MCAT studying!”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Incoming Freshman, Dental Degree? by Anthony is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.