You hear it all the time. I swear if I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard it, I’d be a millionaire. Be positive. Where’s the positivity? You just have to be more positive. Back then I couldn’t fully grasp the validity of those statements and how they aren’t just some cliche older people say to try to make me feel better. Positivity. That word to me now means so much. I wasn’t always the most optimistic person growing up, but not I’ve come to see I need to work on it. Positivity has made me look at what could be a dire situation and try to see some upside. Not everything is so pessimistic and dark, where I have to sulk and feel terrible about it. This year especially the word positivity alone, has gotten me through some tough times. I’ve had to deal with things that I never felt before and what helped me was thinking, “Okay, think positively”. I remember during an especially hard time, running through my mind was, “Sure it sucks now, but in the end losing that something is gonna suck so much more. Keep thinking positive about things and it will be worth it in the end. Come on Sara! You got this.” Sometimes the word positive becomes a mantra in my head when I need the extra boost. It was to me very superficial in the beginning, but as I felt the darkness building inside not only my mind but my thoughts, the word shed its surface and showed me a whole new side of thinking. It wasn’t just an empty word anymore.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 “Here Comes the Sun” by Sara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.