Within 30 seconds of meeting a stranger, the human brain has already formed an opinion of that person that will last for years. It decides what their personality is like, can you trust them, and what their role in your life should be. That same opinion which is composed in under a minute will last a lifetime.For this very reason my favorite word is hello. As simple and common as the word may seem there is no real way to define it. When looked up the definition of the word is “a greeting, or a way to introduce yourself on the phone.” For one of the most commonly used words it has almost no clear definition. Furthermore, the tone we use when saying hello and the words that follow it are what truly define it. This only adds to the word’s mystery and importance in our day to day life.

For instance, how many times have you been in a situation where a firm handshake followed by a hello, can be crucial to a job,a friendship, or simply greeting a stranger. For this reason a simple hello can be more important than long drawn out conversations. Imagine a world where the word hello didn’t exist, when greeting a person, what would you say? Conversations would be less frequent, and much more awkward to create. Another reason why I choose hello as my favorite word is because I can remember numerous times in which a simple greeting followed by a hello has changed my mood for the rest of the day.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Hello by Damon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fritch 3 months ago

I remember someone telling me “employers know whether to hire you within the first thirty seconds of meeting you”. I always thought that was a little exaggerated, but thinking about it now, I realize that phrase may be more our than I had ever thought.

2. Nikki 4 months ago

I am intrigued by your post because it gave me a new view on the simple word “hello” and your view on how there is no actual way to define the word really made me think about how we go on with everyday life with a new meaning of “hello” everyday