For this assignment we had to write our own version of Literary Selfie of “Girl”.

“Girl” can be found here

Washing my face and then applying makeup to look “pretty” every single day; wear dresses and skirts because it is what it is, don’t wear short skirts, don’t show this and that, cover yourself, wear heels, girls supposed to dress feminine; this is how you supposed to serve dinner to men, frijoles , arroz, carne y tortillas; this is how you supposed to eat with manners  because girls are supposed to have proper manners; this is how you are supposed to eat, have the right utensils on the table and eat properly, don’t make slurping noises, do not eat ; behave kindly, be respectful and modest in front of boys, don’t being foolish; this consistency of parents being overprotective of girls, not letting them out of their sight, don’t go out with boys by yourself, don’t do things that you will regret; not letting you go out with friends, not because trust does not take  place, but because it can be dangerous;  ´No hagas cosas buenas , que parezcan malas,¨ this is how you can get called a hoe, slut, and a b****; actions can be mistaken; being watched, every action you take, constantly being spoken of- Should you care what others say?; this is how to be the perfect daughter, being obedient, doing what your parents expect you to do, being home on time, not breaking the rules,  and do the chores at home -Whatś obedience?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Expectations by Bertha is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kayla 3 months ago

Dear Bertha,

I am intrigued by your poem because of the fact that women and girls are expected to act or look a certain way in society because we are females. One sentence you said was “…washing my face and then applying makeup to look “pretty” every single day” i agree with this because women are expected to wear makeup and get dolled up because we have to look feminine and if we don’t than we will be belittled for not wearing makeup.

2. Laura 3 months ago

Dear Bertha,
    I was very intrigued by your post because you had been very straight forward with the topic of insecurities. Most girls are probably thinking about all the things that could happen if they don’t dress, act or even say the right thing. I also liked how you included a different language, so I’m guessing that your Hispanic because it sounds personal. One thing you said that stands out for me is “actions can be mistaken; being watched, every action you take, constantly being spoken of” I think this is very intelligent because it is still true today, although it might be less of a problem it still happens today. Your post reminds me of something that happen to me one time, my parents are always strict with how I am appearing to people. They always expect me to get good grades, be able to act feminine and to never go out alone. Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next week because you also share personal experiences in a subtle way. Also you are willing to say what most people are thinking out in the open.

3. Payton 3 months ago

Dear Bertha,

i am interested in you post because, i can connect with everything on here. i do not understand why girls have to be treated differently, girls should get the same respect that men do. we are put on this tightrope that if we do one thing wrong that we fall off and get shamed. this really touched me think that we can be more then what we are supposed to be.

4. Erika 3 months ago

Dear Bertha,
    Im student at life academy. I agree with you how the stereotypes from the people outside expect from a women and a female. This happens a lot to latina girls because that´s how man expect from women and to do more things for them like you said cook them food and your have to be pretty for the people from outside. Do u think this happens not only in latina girls or other girls from different races? . Thank you for taking your time on writing this post it would teach other people whats going on to girls who are getting affected by the stereotypes from people.

5. Maria 3 months ago

Dear Bertha.

I agree with you because this is really how people think of girls and say how they act. They think women are here to do house work for others. The sentence I liked most in your essay is when you say, ” Washing my face and then applying makeup to look “pretty” every single day…” This sentence shows how people think women should do everyday which is wrong. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you have power in your words and you should always share.

6. Samantha 3 months ago

I am intrigued by your post because of the fact that women are expected to be a certain way or “behave” with obedience because of the fact that we are females. One thing you said that stands out for me is when you said “No hagas cosas buenas , que parezcan malas.” I think this is actually really sad because now a days women can’t do certain things because of the way other people will interpret what you do. Your post reminds me of some things I get told because of the way I dress or my characteristics. Thank you for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

7. Mercy 3 months ago

I can relate to your post as a Latina. One thing you said that stands out for me is, “…this consistency of parents being overprotective of girls, not letting them out of their sight, don’t go out with boys by yourself… ‘No hagas cosas buenas , que parezcan malas'”. This impacts me because I feel like my parents don’t trust me and assume that I’ll let myself be disrespected and it offends me when they say this to me.

8. Paola 3 months ago

Girl as a Latina I completely agree with this. I myself have heard these things growing up from my tia’s and grandma’s. We need to be able to break this control and not because we’re disobedient but because it’s not fair. The men in my life have never been held to these unattainable standards.