My favorite word in the English language is the word set. I understand that it is not a long or intriguing word and you’re probably wondering why out of all 171,476 of the words in the English language I chose one so simple as set. This is because this small word has 464 different definitions making it literally the most meaningful word in the Oxford English Dictionary. This is symbolic of how to live life. Life can be short but it’s necessary to make it meaningful through how one carries oneself. It’s important to do what you want in life and make sure that it means something not to those around you, but to yourself. This is the way I want to live. I want to be able to pick my own definition for my life as there are many to choose from just like there are many definitions of the word set to choose from. It is up to you to define your life and the way you do so is your own choice. For example, if you want to be a hard working person with a physically demanding job, you can do that. If you would rather be an entertainer with the chill lifestyle made to please others, that is possible as well. So go ahead and pick a definition for yourself and let it define you as long as it is the definition that you want it to be.

Photo from: http://www.allisonmoneill.com

CC BY-SA 4.0 Define Your Life by Colin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fritch 11 months ago

The way you connected the meaning behind the word you chose was brilliant, and I never realized how many different meanings there were for one seemingly unimportant word. How did you decide on the word set though? It is such a random choice but I really like what you did with it.

2. Kaitlyn 1 year ago

Dear Colin,
    I am inspired by what you have written here. This is because of the way you took something so simple, but then explained it to be something so complex and meaningful. I have now come to realize that a small word can be very important in explaining many situations and situations that have many outcomes.

3. firstpassword 1 year ago

I am very content about your post ” Define Your Life” because it is important to think about things in life that are very little but also have so much meaning to it. I realize that the word set is an intricate word and it relates to how things in life could have a big impact. This writing piece inspires me to be more open to the things in life that are more important than materialistic things.