Simplicity.

Now that is a crisp word. It sounds nice. It has a pleasant ring to it. The double ‘s’ sound gives an almost internal alliteration, despite it being only a single word. The flick of the ‘p’ is subtle, yet underappreciated.

However, it’s the meaning that truly makes this word special. It’s a motto that I try to live my life by.

If there’s one thing I’m sure of, it’s that I am an incredibly busy person. I promise to be involved in too many commitments at one time, I procrastinate, and to top it all off, I am a dedicated perfectionist. That combination of things is the recipe for a complicated life.

So yeah, you could say I’m a little stressed. Laboring through my studies past two a.m. after a busy night of work and soccer is not ideal.

And yeah, I could use a little simplicity, if you will. I need to relax and enjoy the little things that surround me- those tiny simple moments that make you feel warm and fuzzy despite the unnatural chaos of our world.

Because, to put it simply:

Simplicity is a warm tan blanket and a dog curled in your lap. It is green grass. It is a nap, waking up to the bright sunshine on a cloudless winter afternoon. It is a hearty laugh over an innocent joke at the lunch table. It is falling asleep while reading, your eyes heavy as you struggle to stay awake because you want to finish just one. More. Chapter. It is worn black converse and fresh school supplies. It is listening to your dad strum a song on the guitar that you’ve had embedded into memory for as long as you can remember.

I want all of these things. They remind me of when I was younger, and they emanate a feeling of comfort. Simplicity is calming and neutral and pure and joyful. And happiness, the thing I strive for most, can only result from simplicity.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is Happiness? by Adelle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Bobby 3 months ago

Dear Adelle,

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but simplicity and care for the little things is an absolute necessity in life. I am a lot like you actually, I am student who procrastinates and has many responsibilities. And like you, if I don’t appreciate the little things in life, I’d go crazy. I think you summed it up well, ” those tiny simple moments that make you feel warm and fuzzy despite the unnatural chaos of our world.” Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I’m glad to hear someone shares my view.

2. Erica 3 months ago

Adelle,
    I found this post very interesting. I too enjoy the simple things. I think you would enjoy this article (link below) about how to live a more content life. I thought the way you ended the essay with “I want all of these things. They remind me of when I was younger, and they emanate a feeling of comfort. Simplicity is calming and neutral and pure and joyful. And happiness, the thing I strive for most, can only result from simplicity” was very compelling and accurate of living a simple life. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
    https://zenhabits.net/peaceful-simplicity-how-to-live-a-life-of-contentment/