Go to school, Mondays through Fridays, in order to get a good paying job; never talk in class, so you can pay attention; but then I will fall asleep; make sure you go to college–make sure you go to study law; make sure you go to study medicine; make sure you go to study politics; make sure you go to study business; but also make sure you  go help out in the family store; you must take care of the store; they will be no time to be a kid; make sure you be a man; make sure you walk like a man; make sure you laugh like a man; make sure you look like a man; make sure you eat like a man; make sure you smell like a man; make sure you talk like a man; make sure you feel like a man; make sure you are treated like a man; make sure you look like a man; easy already done; then why do you still laugh weird; we will find you a good wife; make sure you  love her; make sure you have boys; make sure you turn them into men; make sure you raised them to be big and strong; make sure you turn them into men; what if I have girls; then let your wife deal with them; make sure you let your wife cook breakfast; make sure you let your wife cook lunch; make sure you let your wife cook dinner; make sure you let your wife cook feasts; make sure you let your wife clean you cloths; make sure you let your wife iron your clothes; make sure you let your wife clean the dishes; make sure you let your wife clean the house; what if my wife can’t do that;  do you really think I will find you a wife who can’t.

Hello everyone! The purpose of this project was to recreate the story “Girl” by, Jamaica Kincaid through my own eyes. To see the original story just click here. Hope you enjoyed it!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Boy by Amran is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yafiet 2 months ago

Dear Anthony Lee
    I am Interested in your story because I relate to it.
    One thing that you said that stands out for me is when you said ” I get it yeah it’s my mom and I guess that’s her job but I still think that it’s my job as her kid and son to help her out with things and share that work since she’s given me everything that I could have asked for ” I relate to this because I believe that no matter what you should help your mom even if she doesn’t ask you for help.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me.
    One time there was a party at my house, and after the party there was a lot to clean and a lot to wash. Therefore I helped my mom Clean the dishes.
    Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am interested in your story. Also because I like the fact that you give examples in your story.
    Regards, Yafiet Araya.

2. Yabesera Negussei 2 months ago

Dear Amran,

I’m interested in with how you compared Boy and Girl at the same time, and their struggles and challenges because when you turn 18 you have to be responsible in many ways like paying bills and working after school. On the other hand when it's time to became a parent you have to provide, raise and teach your kids to become successful . one thing you said that stands out for me is “make sure your wife cook breakfast, make sure you let your wife clean your cloth… make sure your wife clean the dishes and the house”. I think this is different and the opposite of what men supposed to do but i still don't agree with it , because women not only clean the house and cook, they can also work in business.

3. Chris O 2 months ago

Hey dear, first thing that comes through my mind is education because you explain why it important to be in school from Monday to Friday. Also I like the way you said in order to get pay in a good you have to be educated and it interesting how you talking about life and change it to something important to read. I like how you explain how life suppose to be in order to attended better life.

4. Lidya 2 months ago

Dear Amran

I am interested in your essay because i also think the same thing as you. School is our future life.
    If we don’t learn in the future we won’t get good playing

One thing you said that stand out for me is” Go to school, Monday through Friday, in order to get a good pay job”. I think this is interesting because we all have to learn and get an education to go college and get a good job so we can take care of our families.

5. Anthony 2 months ago

First thing that comes to my mind when it comes to this post is that I certainly agree for the first half of the article but when it starts to cross over to talking about a mans wife and getting a wife and having expectations to how a wife should ask I would have to disagree to a small extent.
    What really stands out to me in this post is ” Make sure you let you wife clean your clothes, make sure your wife irons your clothes….” I find this statement very intriguing in the fact that I mostly digress with this half of the article because I do not believe that woman should do all of the house work or just do everything in general I believe that all the work should be shared and equal in a relationship.
    This reminds me of my mom not in the same way but in the way that when your moms doing all the dishes at home and doing all the laundry, I get it yeah it’s my mom and I guess that’s her job but I still think that it’s my job as her kid and son to help her out with things and share that work since she’s given me everything that I could have asked for. I believe this would have to do with anybody in the future that you love so including your future wife.