Dear Leaders of America,

Hello, my my name is Jesus Sanchez and I’m a student attending Fremont High School in the 11th grade, located in Oakland. Growing up as a teenager in America has been pretty good for me, so far. Personally, I’ve never experienced racial slurs being said to me, but just because it has never happened to me, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen to other kids my age.

Which is why, racism is one the issues I want you to prioritize on. Racism has been a part of this world for years now and I want it to end already. I’m sure other people can agree with me on that. No one likes to be put down by others and racism does exactly that. It could also leave people without jobs and that leads up to starving families. In some cases, it could cause people to commit suicide.
A solution I think might help, is to make racial slurs illegal to say[a]. Sure, there’s freedom of speech but making a couple words illegal wouldn’t hurt nobody.

The future I wish for America to have one day, is where racism has completely disappeared. With everyone getting along with each other, regardless of their different cultures and beliefs. I really hope you think about it and take action.

Jesus Sanchez

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Leaders, Your Attention Please by Jesus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Whitney 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,
    I am biracial myself and I would like nothing better than to see racism abolished. I don’t think making racial slurs illegal will be us there specifically but I think you are on the right track. I agree that racism can have an effect on jobs, starvation and suicide. I don’t recall ever having racial slurs directed at me, but I have lived with someone who was racist and who has said very profound racial slurs directed a other people. It is not a good position to be in when the person thinks its okay to say racial slurs in front of you and you belong to the group they are making the comments towards. Many people think they cant be racist because they are friends with someone of a different color but some people don’t understand that is totally false. Lets do what we can as individuals to put an end to racism and correct others. Thanks again for writing.

Whitney

2. Alex 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,

I found this topic very interesting and current. Racism has always been a part of American history and doesn’t seem to be leaving anytime soon. Although many of us would love to see racism to go, it will take a country wide effort to overcome racism.

3. Alberto 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,

I am fascinated by your topic “American Leaders, Your Attention Please” because you are right about how racial slurs can push people to the edge to commit suicide. I myself have not experienced being called a racial slur and I am lucky but like you said for the ones that have had that experience it is not OK. Just because someone is different from you by the color of your skin shouldn’t give the right to any one to be able to say a racial slur. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are talking about real mature topics in the world. Keep talking about real topics and problems in the world so people can finally wake up.

4. Eric 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,
    I completely agree with you that racism is still present in our society today and that it is causing violent protests that should not be present in our world today. In order to prevent these protests, in my opinion, President Trump needs to take action and fully condemn hate groups like the KKK and the Neo-Nazis. After the Charlottesville attack, President Trump took a couple days to condemn these hate groups, blaming “both sides” of the protest. This comment enraged the entire nation, and it certainly did not calm down the situation because the comment made my President Trump implies that he is also blaming the people who are against the KKK and Neo-Nazis. The statement also adds fuel to the hate groups because they think Trump is on their side. To stop chaos like this from happening again, Trump needs to FULLY condemn the hate groups, and if he does that, this situation will hopefully become more calm. Going back to your blog post, I am not sure that banning racial slurs will be an effective way to stop racism. First of all, this country is run on the United States Constitution and in that document, everyone has the right to free speech. So, if we were to ban racial slurs, many people would argue that it will be a violation of the constitution. Adding on to that, if the banning of racial slurs were to be enforced, how would Congress enforce that law? Will they fine people that say racial slurs?
    Thank you for posting and sharing your ideas!

5. Chelsea 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,
    I agree with you that racism is terrible and needs to end. You made some extremely compelling points like about how it can lead to people not having jobs and how it can lead to something as terrible sad as suicide. Racism has no place in the modern world and we should do all we can to eradicate it. However, I don’t agree with outlawing words. While this seems like a good idea on the surface, outlawing a few words leads to the mental stance of outlawing any words okay. This would only lead to outrage since the First Amendment is such an important amendment. To retort people would probably just make up more hurtful words. So, this would end up not doing much in the long run. Besides that though, I agree with everything you said and your writing was very intelligent.

6. Emilee 2 months ago

Dear Jesus,
    I agree wholeheartedly that racism needs to end. I think the ultimate goal is a world in which there is no inequality. Like you, I’ve never personally experienced a racial slur but that doesn’t mean I’m not aware of what goes on around me. I think that making racial slurs illegal is a good idea in theory, but it might be hard to enforce it. I think the best way to stop racism and inequality is for the world to come together and make a change. Thank you so much for sharing your voice!

7. Fernando 2 months ago

One quote that you wrote that really stands out to me is “racism has been a part of this world for years now and i want it to end already” this quote stood out because this is true that there has been racism for a long time and it need to end and i think that the only way we could end it is to start with this generation

8. Amran 3 months ago

Good job! This was a very educational and informative post. I liked when your solution to make racial terms illegal because I believe that it was a very good idea. I am pretty sure it would work to. I cant wait until you make another post so i can read it because it was very informative.

9. Chanburak 3 months ago

Dear Jesus :
    I am intrigued by your letter, “Americans leaders, Your attention please” because it illustrated how racism still exists in America today. No matter what people do or no matter what they say racism just will not die.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “In some cases, it could cause people to commit suicide.” I think this is tragic because people are seriously harming and killing themselves over the racism that still exists in America.
    Another sentence that I connected with was: “No one likes to be put down by others and racism does exactly that..” This stood out for me because no one likes to be put down by others yet people still do it to get a laugh out of someone or to be the class clown
    Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me. One time or more like the multiple times me and my friends have been made fun of because of our race. We’ve heard it all from, hey do you eat dog? To can you guys see when you’re driving? It just gets really annoying and old after a while. Who knows what the world has in store for the next 5-10 years. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because we chose to focus on the exact same issue which is racism. I look forward to seeing how your perspective on racism changes as the school year progresses.

10. Olga 3 months ago

Dear Jesus:
    I am impressed with your letter “American Leaders, Your Attention,” because you choose a good title that can catch the readers attention fast. But also of the issue that you choose and I agree with you that the leaders of America should prioritize that because it’s an issue that affects many people.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Personally, I’ve never experienced racial slurs being said to me, but just because it has never happened to me, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen to other kids my age.” I think this is a delightful sentence because not many people thinks about others like you did and they just focus on their selves. But you did a great job on also promoting and speaking up for others.
    Another sentence that I stood out to me was: “The future I wish for America to have one day, is where racism has completely disappeared. .” This stood out for me because I believe that one day people will recognize what is bad and good and when that happens their will be no more racism.
    Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me because when I was in middle school I didn’t know English and the students that did know they just didn’t help me and they sometimes just made fun of people who didn’t know or understood English. But having to experience that I have recognized that now that i know English, I have the passion of helping newcomers that don’t know English.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you are a great thinker that cares about others and not your own self.