Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Amran Taleb and I am a Senior at Fremont High. While researching the event that took place in Charlottesville, I learned that there was way more White Nationalist than I  thought.

I had a easy life growing up. There was a few times when I go out with my family and a person would come up to us and say “go back to where you came from.” but that rarely happens to us. I believe it’s because I live in Oakland, CA, one of the most diverse city.

Unlike most people, I was lucky. We have a huge problem at hand, and it is the hatred toward another person’s race/culture.  Yes people will say “if that’s your opinion than it’s your opinion,” I disagree. If we keep on treating racism as an opinion then we will never progress as a society. Our leaders should go to war with racism and just end it so our society can progress.

We need to start treating racism as a disease, a mental problem therefore if you’re a racist you must go to a program where it will change that. The program will have all types of colored workers and and therapist to help out the patient and show the patient that we all are humans no matter the skin color.

In the future I wish could take a simple test and not answer a question about my race. In the future I could go to the park see it  filled with kid of all sorts of colors and cultures. In the future I wish there was no person who puts himself in a higher social class of another because of the color of their skin.

Thank you for reading.

Signed,

Amran Taleb

CC BY-SA 4.0 Leaders of America, Pay Attention by Amran is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ellie 9 months ago

Amran,
    thank you so much for sharing this! First of all, I am so glad that you and your family have been blessed with an easy transition to America, as everyone deserves. Racism in America is out of control. I think that you bring up a very good point when you said that we cannot allow for racism to continue to be an opinion. People should not be able to have the opinion that white people are superior. It is ridiculous, and our country needs to motivate and find a new way to solve this issue. Racism needs to be banned from America, a country where we are supposed to respect and love others the way we want to be loved. Thank you again for sharing. This piece was very well written.
    -Ellie

2. Rachel 12 months ago

Dear Amran,

I am glad that you have not had the hardest time growing up in America. As you know, this is not always the case for a lot of individuals. I am ashamed of any fellow American that has the nerve to tell you “go back to where you came from” as this is equally your home as it is any of ours. I hope that as you and I age, America will become a more accepting country and that our fellow Americans will treat each other with much more respect than they do now. I definitely agree that racism is a huge problem in America today. I’m a college student in Michigan and though my university has diversity, racism is still loud here. This is why it is important that we talk together as a community and keep our minds open. You make a good point that though it is okay for others to have their own opinions, their actions and words should not hinder another individual. Wouldn’t it be nice if people would mind each other and treat each other with respect? I know that I can only hope for it someday.

Best wishes.

3. Sophia 1 year ago

Dear Amran, Thank you so much for your post! I totally agree with you with the fact that racism is a big problem in the United States today. The events of Charlottesville clearly displayed the tensions and hatred between the two groups, and showed how much of a problem this is in our country. Even though this is a sensitive issue, I think it’s very important to talk about it because it’s the only way progress will be made. Thank you for talking about this and I look forward to seeing your future posts.