Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Amran Taleb and I am a Senior at Fremont High. While researching the event that took place in Charlottesville, I learned that there was way more White Nationalist than I  thought.

I had a easy life growing up. There was a few times when I go out with my family and a person would come up to us and say “go back to where you came from.” but that rarely happens to us. I believe it’s because I live in Oakland, CA, one of the most diverse city.

Unlike most people, I was lucky. We have a huge problem at hand, and it is the hatred toward another person’s race/culture.  Yes people will say “if that’s your opinion than it’s your opinion,” I disagree. If we keep on treating racism as an opinion then we will never progress as a society. Our leaders should go to war with racism and just end it so our society can progress.

We need to start treating racism as a disease, a mental problem therefore if you’re a racist you must go to a program where it will change that. The program will have all types of colored workers and and therapist to help out the patient and show the patient that we all are humans no matter the skin color.

In the future I wish could take a simple test and not answer a question about my race. In the future I could go to the park see it  filled with kid of all sorts of colors and cultures. In the future I wish there was no person who puts himself in a higher social class of another because of the color of their skin.

Thank you for reading.

Signed,

Amran Taleb

1. Sophia 7 days ago

Dear Amran, Thank you so much for your post! I totally agree with you with the fact that racism is a big problem in the United States today. The events of Charlottesville clearly displayed the tensions and hatred between the two groups, and showed how much of a problem this is in our country. Even though this is a sensitive issue, I think it’s very important to talk about it because it’s the only way progress will be made. Thank you for talking about this and I look forward to seeing your future posts.