Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Amelia Mendoza and I am a 17 year old Guatemalan who is a Senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. I have been researching  towards the incident that had happen in Charlottesville, Virginia where the protest towards the statue of Robert E. Lee a confederate who supported slavery during the civil war. The argument towards keeping the statue has arouse white supremacy.White people disagree with tearing down the statue since it represented their power to take control over the ones who have no potential like them. The tension became stronger and dangerous to where the white supremacist created a protest to not take down the statute People of color and non supporters of the statute also didn’t want to stay quiet but as we’ll demonstrate that it’s not reasonable since the statue represented a sting hate towards the colored or non white people. The protest not only was intense but it also killed some of the activist who where trying to speak their voices out towards trying to stop the hate and the violence with one another.

My experience growing up in a community full of diversity where Latinos, African Americans, Asians, Pacific Islanders and many different ethnicities has been amazing. Learning from different type of people’s background has made me accept and become an open minded person.

One of the most important issues that needs to be taken in consideration would be how people now think it’s okay to be racist.This world has now got influence by a racist leader who has discriminated immigrants and describing them as criminals,rapist. People who have strong hate towards people of color or immigrants  now have extended their thoughts throughout world wide where people who are colored or immigrants feel unsafe in America.

America is a place where different people have traveled, succeeded, changed and embraced their life. Many from all over the world view it as a place where dreams are suppose to be accomplished .

The type of America that I can imagine has people who don’t hate each other just because one is lighter than the other. Where people can become successful without having to deal with problems like not being documented. América is where diversity keeps spreading from all over and where it’s safe for new generation. To where every kid who wish to become president can be president. To where people realize that violence is not the solution . To where everyone can be accepted for who they are and not judged for what people want them to be. América is where I can make a person realize that it’s beautiful because all people here are beautiful in their own way.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read my letter and hope to see better results in the future towards improving our society.

Signed,

Amelia Mendoza

CC BY-SA 4.0 Stop the Hate! by Amelia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maggie 9 months ago

Amelia, I loved your post. I thought it was very formal and very well written. One thing that I stood out very well was how personal you made it. It made me want to keep reading and help you out with your quest to “Stop the Hate!” Do you think it is possible for us, as Americans, to stop the hate? Do you think we are capable of making a more safe and loving envrionment? Personally, I think we HAVE to do it. We are a country built on differences and letting others in and right now we are doing just the opposite. I think it is our personal duty to stop the hate. I loved your post! I hope to see more of your writing.