Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Luz Morales a Senior at Fremont High from the city of Oakland California. I am writing this letter to talk about what it’s like growing up as a teenager in America and about  the protest “Take back Lee Park” that was organized by white nationalists which occurred August 11-12, 2017 in Charlottesville Virginia. I did some research about the different perspectives of people who participated in this protest.  Heather Heyer for example, a 32 year old woman who attended to promote peace and white nationalists who were there to protest the removal of Robert E. Lee’s statue. Heather Heyer was killed that day, she was ran over by a grey dodge that plowed into the crowd of counter-protesters. The white nationalists weren’t that friendly, they chanted racist and offensive remarks. As I did my research, I also learned what the President’s response was to this event. President Trump said that there was  “violence on many sides, ”  which I don’t believe is quiet true. The first amendment mentions freedom of speech but it doesn’t say anything about violence being okay because violence should never be okay. Growing up as a teenager in America has been quite hard especially because I am a girl of color. Sometimes others try to to make me feel like I don’t matter or my opinions don’t matter because I’m just a teenage girl. I feel like it would be important for the leaders of America to consider our opinions because we are the future. One of the issues I would want our leaders to prioritize right now would be working on preventing these type of violent rallies because I would want everyone to feel safe no matter what their gender, race or sexuality is. In my opinion protests with racists chants shouldn’t be legal because you should consider that the United States of America is a very diverse country and no one should feel like they aren’t part of it. Racists protests can then lead to violence and unnecessary problems like deaths or serious injuries.As I said earlier everyone should have the right for their freedom of speech but I think it would be a good idea if the government were to make a law where these type of racist protests are illegal. I know this won’t stop people from being racist but it will prevent these type of events, show the people of America that this type of behaviour is not okay and show that the U.S government is against it. In the future I just want to see a country where our differences aren’t as big of a problem as they are now, I want to see everyone united because unity is power. It would be great to know that as leaders of America you are taking in mind the perspective of a teenager. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.

Luz E. Morales

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should the U.S government make this law? by Luz is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Eduardo 5 months ago

Dear Luz Morales :
    I am astonished by, your letter, “ America the Beautiful Together We Stand,” because you were very detailed on one point of view however, you did not imply the white supremacist point of view. In this case you seen very bias.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Racists protests can then lead to violence and unnecessary problems like deaths or serious injuries” I think this is a place you should work on so you can improve as a student. In addition you did a great job at being very detailed and explaining what you researched and your personal opinion.Another sentence that I thought was interesting: “In the future I just want to see a country where our differences aren’t as big of a problem as they are now, I want to see everyone united because unity is power.” This stood out to me because it got me wondering what you will do to contribute to the worlds success in the future.Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was part of a protest and we made signs, we had chants and we flags of what we represented. We were protesting from school to school trying to get as many people as possible. I contributed by being a part and joining.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have a strong mindset and include very good details. Which is amazing to be honest.