Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Bertha Saavedra. I had made research about the Charlotteville attack. I had learned that still in the year 2017, people can still get hurt because of their beliefs. My experience as a teenager in America has been pressuring because not a lot of adults can trust us to do great things in life. In my experience almost every time I have an opinion people just talk over me or just tell me to be quiet.  That’s why a lot of teenagers just rather not speak and keep their ideas to themselves. I mean us teenagers are the future of America. We learn from mistakes and we come up with ideas for the future. We are the FUTURE.  

For my fellow elected leaders, we pay taxes. Those taxes are used to pay you and serve us. Not serve yourselfs. We pay you to do your job. Listen to the people, listen to what they need and ideas they have, take that in consideration. Right now the problem you should prioritize is education. Education is everything, it’s key to life. It helps you to prepare for the real life, reality. To defend yourself with facts and not just non-sense. To show how much you know and your intelligence, so people won’t underestimate you. To know from right and wrong.  To not be scared towards other people’s ideas. Education should be free. A solution is to fund money to schools especially public schools to provide students with better resources. The government should take part of this solution.  

I would like to see America equal in the future. I wish there was no hate, but it’s impossible to control what people believe in but everyone is different. In the future i wish for everyone having the same opportunities no matter legal status, gender identity and so on.  May I remind you America supposed to be the land of opportunities.

Thank you,

Bertha Saavedra

CC BY-SA 4.0 Please Read! by Bertha is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Melany 3 months ago

Dear Bertha,

I am enlightened with your opinions with school education. Why i am so enlightened with your statment is because i never really saw it that way as you do, that we don’t really have a voice, i never thought about it this way.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is ¨ To know from right and wrong. To not be scared towards other people’s ideas. Education should be free. A solution is to fund money to schools especially public schools to provide students with better resources. The government should take part of this solution.” i think this is very true and expanded my mind to think i didn’t think of. Another sentence that i liked was “listen to the people, listen to what they need and ideas they have, take that in consideration” this stood out to me because it is very important to kids have their voices listened to and i completely understand that many people are left unheard. I do agree with you that we should prioritize education. One reason i agree with this is because sometimes education is taken for granted and it shouldn’t people need an education. Another reason i agree is because many people who didn’t go to school struggle a lot in the real world. It shouldn’t be like this and all people should get the education they deserve. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you are such a wonder writer. Also because you think of things others are blind to and i admire that. I love your ambition.

2. Hunter 3 months ago

Bertha, I love how you talk about the importance of the education in American society! I agree with you about how it is the key to life and how it prepares you for real like. In response to the government not prioritizing education, I believe it is because of votes. Votes create or destroy a president, and that power is within the people (most of them). The problem is that those in public schools cannot vote since they are mainly under 18. Since a president would not get more votes by funding education, they don’t see a point in it. I think this is a very shallow way to think and the government should do what is right, and not what will give them more votes. I also couldn’t believe that people can’t understand others beliefs and hurt others because of them in 2017. It isn’t that hard to only express your opinions verbally, and not use force. With this, a person only has to tolerate another’s beliefs, and that should be accomplished easily. I really hope that in the near future everyone can do this and it will create equality.

Thank you very much for your post, Bertha.

Hunter Hollenbeck