Dear Leaders of America,

Hello my name is Kevin Nguyen, I’m currently a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, California. Research about Charlottesville, brought a lot of attention to me because of the injustices that are happening, affecting the minorities. The fact that the white nationalist are demoralizing minorities, which isn’t right, it shouldn’t be a rally if it’s discouraging a group of people

Growing up as a teenager especially as an Asian in a Hispanic/Latino dominant neighborhood played a role for me. Its very interesting being involved in different cultures and making friends who are different race from me.

Our leaders should prioritize Healthcare being accessible and affordable, These issues should be priority for the leaders because the community,  especially in our community. Need more help in our financially to have healthcare and insurance.

To help with this issue is to have more safety net hospitals around lower income areas. Safety net hospitals help anyone regarding their background so they accept everyone.

I want a future where Americans can be more open minded, and accept people for who they are, allow people from other countries enter the U.S without being judged therefore respecting people for who they are whether it’s disregarding their culture or where they came from

Signed,

Kevin

CC BY-SA 4.0 Listen up Leaders of America, I got something you gotta hear! by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lexi 4 months ago

Dear Kevin,
    I am quite happy with your post, and am struck by it’s validity. It gives me hope that there are people striving for change across the US, it makes me feel not so alone. I grew up in a mostly white neighborhood, and have not had much experience with those of other races and cultures. I am incredibly sad about this, because I feel like it is extremely important to have an understanding of people, their cultures, and who they are, so that I can stand up for them during their times of need. What do you think i can do to get more involved with these cultures? I genuinely want to learn, and I think that others wouldn’t be so judgmental if they knew more about others.
    Thank you for your article and your time,
    Lexi Thomsen

2. Melody 4 months ago

Dear kevin Nguyen,
    Hi I am melody I am a freshman at life academy it’s cool that we both go to school in oakland. I read your post and there were some things in there that i could relate to that you said. It made me wonder whether or not i should write a similar topic about what you wrote. A line that really stood out to me was when you said that it was very interesting being involved with other cultures because i agree with you i have moved around alot and i’ve gotten to live next to different people and learning about their culture was amazing because if i hadn’t then i would have never known that all of those people were amazing they were so kind and intelligent. I can also relate when you wrote about how we should lower the money so that low income families have hospitals and clinics to go to even though they don’t have much mone. I can relate to that because i come for a low income family and sometimes it’s hard for my mom to pay the doctor and hospitals when ever we need medical care.thank you for your writing it was inspirational. I look forward to reading your next post.

3. Aaron 4 months ago

Dear Kevin,
    I really like the idea that you have about prioritizing health care and making it affordable and accessible to people who really need it the most. I really think that is a good idea because there are family’s out there that cant afford healthcare, but it they prioritize it and make it affordable for all it wont be a problem for all people.

4. Daniel 4 months ago

Kevin,

Your post was very interesting. I really like the way that your title makes someone want to read what you have to say. I agree with you that growing up in a diverse place is a great thing. When you have multiple viewpoints that shape your values, you can have a more unbiased perspective of the world. I like your suggestions for the leaders of America, but I’m wondering if you think that they should first prioritize health care or striving to stop issues of race from occurring? We definitely should be trying to become more open minded and accepting. Do you have an ideas on how we could do this? You said that “To help with this issue is to have more safety net hospitals around lower income areas. Safety net hospitals help anyone regarding their background so they accept everyone.” and I think that’s a good idea because we need to improve our health care system for people in need. Overall this was a great post, thank you for sharing.

5. Calvin 5 months ago

This is a really nice letter. I agree with you mate, and the leaders of America should prioritize healthcare so everyone can have access to it.

6. Norma 5 months ago

Dear Kevin Nguyen :
    I am intrigued with your letter, “Listen up Leaders of America, I got something you gotta hear!,” because I know how you feel as well, coming to Oakland and feeling that as well. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “…The fact that the white nationalists are demoralizing minorities,which isn’t right. It shouldn’t be a rally if it’s discouraging a group of people…” I think this is very interesting because it is true that the white nationalists are doing that and mostly since it has been for so long in history. One example would be slavery. There is a part in Charlottesville which is white and the other are African Americans, it’s divided. Also, if you see whites are mostly those who have good cars and they are their own bosses in their building, they feel they shall be at the top of anything. They simply are like that. That is why we are here to notice and make a change. Another sentence that I connected with was, “very interesting being involved in different cultures and making friends who are different race from me.” This stood out for me because I feel you. I came here while I was only 4 years old and I only lived around a mexican community, while growing up I thought I was Mexican as well since I didn’t communicate with others from where I used to live simply because no one from Guatemala lived, back in Riverside. Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me. The time was when I moved to Oakland. When I moved her to Oakland, wow was I amazed. I started middle school, and I see many communities, such as where I was born, chapines from Guatemala, African Americans, whites, Chinese, Vietnamese, people from Saudi Arabia, Mexicans, Chicanos etc. I was also impressed, amazed. I now have friends who have different costumes, religions, language, etc. I just love it. I get to know where they are from and how they are significant to me as having them close to me and be my friends. I get to learn from them.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to see you expressing yourself more and add about your struggles, I would love to know your struggles coming here and how it might change. Thank you.

7. Salatapasa 5 months ago

Dear Kevin Nguyen,
    I am thrilled by your post, “ Listen up leaders of america, I got something you gotta hear!,” because not only did you bring up problems in america but problems in our community. Another thing that I liked about your post was your layout and how it wasn’t clumped together
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ our leaders should prioritize Healthcare being accessible and affordable.” I think this is great because healthcare is something our community really needs and not a lot of people really bring it up to our leaders.
    Another sentence that I liked was: “ respecting people for who they are whether it’s discarding their culture or where they came from.” This stood out for me because discriminating is a big part of our community and i feel that not only african americans are only judged, but all races go through a part of racism.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you write in a detailed way that didn’t only approach problems in america but you brought up problems that we have in our community that I feel are important for not only the leaders of america but also for americans.

8. Alex 5 months ago

Dear kevin :
    I am happy about your letter.your thoughtful letter “Listen up Leaders of America, I got something you gotta hear!” because I am from another country too. It true that yes, it does affect the minorities. Mostly when you are from other country and not really part of USA. This place should be for everyone and not only for one culture.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Growing up as a teenager especially as an Asian in a Hispanic/Latino dominant neighborhood played a role for me. Its very interesting being involved in different cultures and making friends who are different race from me.” I think this is interesting because this stand out to me it it’s challenging getting long to America and meeting a new culture that you don’t know nothing about
    Another sentence that stood out to me was: “I want a future where Americans can be more open minded, and accept people for who they are, allow people from other countries enter the U.S without being judged therefore respecting people for who they are whether it’s disregarding their culture or where they came from” This stood out for me because US should be a place for everyone some people comes to have a better future.
    Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me. One time that my mom had a big pain she couldn’t go to hospital because she doesn’t have any insurance to covered all the payment. This is the worst thing of being as from another culture. They should accept everyone who is from another race to get equal to each others.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it’s interesting of hearing something from someone who is from another culture how they feeling of being disrespectful and how they feeling of meeting new race or culture.