Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Frank J Serrano. I am 17-years-old and I am currently a senior at Fremont High School in Oakland, CA. The things that have happened in Charlottesville, Virginia is terrible. No one should have their life taken away for speaking out their mind. People have different opinions and they are opinions, there is no reason to kill or injure someone just because it contradicts your opinion.

Growing up as a teen in the U.S. there is a lot of racism. First off, there are a lot of racist people in the U.S. We’re never really safe because everyday we see caucasians killing African Americans even if they didn’t commit a crime and they end up being let go, but if it was the other way around African Americans would end up getting punished. It’s really unfair, how our system is pretty biased towards one race.

There are a lot of problems in our society, but in my opinion the most important problems that should be fixed are the fact that housing and education are not affordable. Growing up in the hood in a Latino household has taught me how expensive the important things in life are. Gentrification has been happening in California a lot and people have been getting kicked out of their homes because the rent has been raised and they don’t have enough money. Children from immigrant descent don’t really have enough money to pay for college/ university. These families have just enough money for the rent, how are they going to afford to pay thousands of dollars for an education? Sometimes they’re even left with a huge debt due to student loans.

A solution I have is to raise the minimum wage more. If the prices for everything goes up, why not raise the minimum wage as well? That way people will have enough money to pay for the housing and for education. Also, why not lower the cost for the education, the prices stop future doctors, engineers, scientists, or even lawyers to even get a chance to realize their future dreams and make our society better. Not everyone is born with the same opportunities, so in order for it to be fair and for everyone to have the same opportunities, college should be affordable. 

I hope that one day our government is diverse with people who have struggled to get where they are today because only they know what it’s really like to live in these circumstances. Hopefully the U.S. increases economically and our technology develops so that our country can help out those in need. If everyone gets the same opportunities there will be less poverty and more people with a better education, so people won’t have to resort to crime to survive.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I hope you can take everything I said into consideration.

Signed,

Frank J Serrano

Photo by Photographing Travis

CC BY-SA 4.0 How to make a better society by Frank is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Leo 4 months ago

Dear Frank J Serrano
    I like how your talking that they should be a raise for people that cant evan pay bills or for food and also I like how you talk about that African-American people get badly punished or even shot/killed for there race and skin tone,One more thing that I like about your post is that you talk about our society and that it should be better in education for kids that want to go to school and also the housing for people not a lot of people have a good home and I agree with you.

Thank you for writing,
    Leo

2. Karyme 4 months ago

Dear Frank J Serrano
    I am happy about your post about “How To Make A Better Society” because it’s a really important situation that we need to change about the world as a community, I also love how you you had the courage to share about this situation but I think you should add more details or give more explanations because someone might not know what your really talking about i suggest that you talk/add like “What happened”? “What can we do to support our community”? and “why is this situation important to you and the community?” why does it matter?

3. Alex 5 months ago

Dear Frank J Serrano
    I am happy about your post how to make a better society,” because people in society do have home or good jo
    bs that can’t take the kids to school and missing out on their education that will give them more jobs and thair stuff in the future.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: is when you take about the future of the people ” I think this is amazing because… lots of people need to know about what or how to make this society better for us and for future people.
    Another sentence that I saw was: about future nods This stood out for me because… I want to have a good Job and if the society not good I don’t think it lot more people would have Jobs now.
    Your post reminds me of something of a time when my dad told me to work hard and one Day eavrything will work out.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because… I enjoy what you wrote and and I think it would Chang the what people think

4. Alex 5 months ago

Dear Frank :
    I am very happy that you think like our community not a really good looking society right now and some important facts on you think that our society will become better later “How to make a better society,” because most people think that they can do whatever they want but in real life not it’s not okay for those who do bad things is a bad choice they making. Another sentence stood out to me was you wrote that “There are a lot of problems in our society” This is so true why because everywhere there’s always gotta be problems. For example like right now all thing and prize are going up and why they should increase the wage too. If any company’s stores any other jobs want more money but also they have to agree on increasing the wage t that goes for the government to agree on what people wants because we all have the equal rights to talk about what they believed in.
    Your letter reminds me of something that happened to me and to everyone else,One time… I guess 2016-17 where everyone in Oakland was protesting because of the wage . most of them was immigrants because white treats immigrants unfair still,the workers was standing out for what they believing in. School was closed most of the jobs was closed too and most of workers didn’t went to work. this is so important because we want to have a better society and hope that becomes more a positive in the future.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because if all this things you wrote will become true in the continue journey in the future.

5. Eduardo 5 months ago

Dear Frank:
    I am very happy that you think like me and have some important facts post “How to make a better society,” because most people don’t really look at dose ideas or points. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “First off, there are a lot of racist people in the U.S. We’re never really safe because everyday we see caucasians killing African Americans even if they didn’t commit a crime and they end up being let go, but if it was the other way around African Americans would end up getting punished. It’s really unfair, how our system is pretty biased towards one race” I think this is correct because there has been lots of cases where african americans have been killed for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also agree with all your ideas.