Dear leaders of America,

My name is Arlin. I am a seventeen year old senior from Oakland California, who has been following all the current events that have occurred over the last two years. From following what happened in Charlottesville, I have came to the conclusion, that this country is headed to a downfall.

I was born and raised in Oakland California. Growing up, I always had this sense of nationalism. Oh, how the United States, is the best country in the world! And oh, how proud I am to have been born in this country! But, as a person of color, I quickly found out how horrifically oppressed people of color have been, ever since the creation of this country.

As I learned from my years in school, the land this country sits on, stolen land. How badly people of color, had been treated to form this country you people have called home. And, I ask you to

better treat people of color, since the sweat of their back, is what created that lovely office you currently have. But, unfortunately, it seems to have gotten worse.

How can you as leaders, just sit around and let racism take place? The removal of the Robert E. Lee statue, was so overdue. Yet people are triggered, and protest against the removal. Do they not know that General Lee was pro-slavery? How can this country be at peace, when the idea of slavery still is being celebrated?

I believe; that for you as leaders, remove any sort of materialistic reminders that may offend people. Such as statues, places given names after people in the eyes of the majority, do not approve. Please remove Columbus day off the calendar, and as a national holiday. Lasty, I suggest that people of color get to choose their own representatives in the government.

I wish that hopefully one day, this country is at peace with one another, and we can all call ourselves brothers and sisters, without any differences between us.

Thank you for taking your time to read my letter!

Arlin

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dear leaders of America by Arlin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Guadalupe 4 months ago

Dear Arlin:
    I also feel bad about all the racism that is happening. Your post makes me feel sad because it makes me remember all of the racism that I have heard about. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “this country is at peace with one another.” I think this is an awesome thing to dream about. I have also thought about this. Another sentence that I liked was ” I suggest that people of color get to choose their own representatives in the government.” This stood out to me because this would be a strong thing if it were to happen. I do agree with you that we should all have the same rights. One reason I say this is because there is a lot of oppression against people of color. Another reason I agree with you is because people of color is the most oppressed community. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post are really interesting. Thanks again.

2. Guadalupe 4 months ago

Dear Arlin:
    I am sad with your post because this a really sad thing that is happening. We should all stay together and fight against racism. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “this country is at peace with one another.” I agree with you because I also wish that this can happen one day and we can live peacefully. Another sentence that stood out to me was “I suggest that people of color get to choose their own representatives in the government.” This stood out to me because I totally agree with you and I think people shouldn’t be separated by their skin color. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your posts are really interesting.