Dear Leaders of America,

Hi, my name is Christy-Lynn Lagula, I’m 15 years old and I currently stay in Oakland, Ca and I am a 11th grader at Fremont High. What I learned from researching Charlottesville is that lots of white nationalist came from all over the world to protest the city plan to remove the statue memorializing Robert E. Lee. There were counter demonstrators who were also there to oppose that. Then the protest quickly turned violent. It left 19 people injured and 1 dead. White supremacists clashed with counter-demonstrators, and a car ran into a crowd of anti- racist and anti-fascist protesters.

My experience growing up as a teenager in America is ok but it’s not perfect it’s very different from the back in the days. Nowadays teenagers are all into social media like Instagram,snapchat, twitter etc and  there’s been lots of violence and deaths with kids around my age. But there’s opportunities for jobs and internships for us teenagers.

A issue I would want you to prioritize right now is police brutality all around America. I also would like you to prioritize the homeless.There should be more shelters for them. These issues should be your priority because they all are still Americans and most importantly they’re still humans and they all deserve life and a chance.

Some ideas I would offer for my issues is to put yourself in their shoes and to go public and talk about these problems and how it should change. For the homeless, my advice is to build more shelters all over the world so the streets won’t look as filled or messy. My idea for the police brutality is to remove all racist officers because officers are here to protect and provide and not to kill because of race  

I wish the future in America would look more peaceful. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I hope you take this into consideration.

Christy-Lynn Lagula

CC BY-SA 4.0 Dear Leaders Of America by Christy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Victor 3 months ago

dear Christy your essay has really impacted me because this is real and they should be making homeless shelters for people that are homeless and this would help by maintain clean in the streets of oakland. what did you mean about teens like your age has been killed because of violence you.

2. Gubi 3 months ago

Hi Christy, Good job on your essay! I like how you stated all the issues you would like our leaders to fix and I agree that police brutality is an important issue to solve. Keep up the good work!

3. Kevin 3 months ago

Dear Christy,

I can see that you are passionate about this issue with homeless and police brutality, America has lots of issues and those are absolutely an issue. But, do you think that offering shelter to the homeless should be our priority right now? Don’t you think that the immigration problem happening right now is more important? Lots more lives are at stake with trump threatening to deport immigrants. So, why shouldn’t we focus on a bigger problem right in front of our faces right now? Police brutality is a pretty big issue as well, but I would like to ask how the leaders of America will be able to solve the police brutality problem. They can’t watch over every police out there are make sure that nothing happens. The system will have slip up sometimes so how you you make sure that doesn’t happen, because just the leaders alone will not solve the problem.
    Thanks for lifting up your voice and sharing your opinion. -Kevin

4. Amran 4 months ago

Good job! I am really impressed with this. I liked your solution about how we should build more shelters for the homeless in order to help them out and keep the streets looking clean. I really believe that if more shelters were built that would help a lot. I cant wait until you post again because it was very educational to read and there was very good solutions.