Dear Leaders of America,

My name is Jordan Phal, I am a 17 year old senior who currently lives in Oakland California. I currently attend Fremont High school.

Growing up as a teenager in America throughout most of the decade has been okay. I mean it hasn’t been hard on me, but I also never had everything that I ever wanted. I grew up in Oakland, California for my entire life and it’s pretty diverse over here. Once I went up north for a week this summer and saw mainly white Americans I was shocked.

There are a lot of issues that exist in our society today, but the one I want our elected leaders to focus on is the racism that still exists in our society. Racism should be the primary focus of our elected leaders thanks to the recent event that just happened a couple of weeks ago in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Obviously there’s virtually no way to end all of the racism in America, although that would be nice. The best advice I give give our leaders to try to fix the problem is try to get people to understand other people’s culture, I don’t know how and I don’t know when but just do it.  

I wish that in the future everyone can understand one another’s culture and see things from multiple perspectives.

I assume that our elected leaders are trying their best, but sometimes that’s just not enough.

Signed, Jordan Phal

CC BY-SA 4.0 Charlottesville Tragedy by Chanburak is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yojana 1 year ago

Hi I am a freshman at life academy. I really like your post because it talked about racism. I agree with you because I also live in oakland and there is a lot of racism happening here. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is when you said, “I wish that in the future everyone can understand one another’s culture and see things from multiple perspectives”. I think this stands out because people feel bad that other people don’t like their culture and they feel bad about sharing their culture with other people. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me because I don’t like to share were I come from because I feel that they are going to bully me, just because were I come from. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I think I am going to like your posts.