Oh my goodness, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the components of this project. Excited and eager to get started, yes but also anxious about striking a healthy balance between our goals and student interest and expectations.

During our last session, I felt like as a group we were grappling with the idea of using an overarching theme. However, today’s session left me feeling like it was already a done deal and we would indeed be using the overarching question–what is justice to frame our inquiry with the youth this summer. I am not opposed to this idea but I do feel myself just pushing back a little bit. Although we have not yet come to an official consensus about this, the experience leaves me wondering about process. How do we engage with the youth using a transparent and democratic process this summer?

What are the youth’s expectations for this project? What were they told that they were signing up for and how do we honor their expectations while fulfilling our agenda for the project? As a TC, I am usually working in other teacher’s classrooms so I am thrilled to have students of my own for three weeks and want to feel some level of ownership.  I know that we all believe that our students are assets and we value what they bring to our learning community. I want to make sure that they recognize and understand that their teachers feel this way. While it is important that we provide a somewhat structured and rich learning experience, I don’t want to forget that the students’ agenda is of equal value in determining what that rich experience will be.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where do we go from here? by Lona is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Grace 5 months ago

Lona, Your words, “While it is important that we provide a somewhat structured and rich learning experience, I don’t want to forget that the students’ agenda is of equal value in determining what that rich experience will be.” rang so true to me! They echo my thinking as well as my questions regarding our plans for the 3 weeks. I know our planning has already started to come together so I am excited about the plans and the possibilities!