In thinking about the scope and sequence of the summer program for ELLs, I realize we will have nowhere near enough time to complete all the ideas I’ve compiled.  In a mere 36 hours together, we will probably have to make a choice about whether we want to focus on autobiographical writing or research inquiry about justice/injustice.  The benefit of completing research and writing on a topic is that we can present categories that lend themselves to a discussion of injustice (racism, immigration, poverty, etc.) and form small groups of students to work together.

For the culminating project, I would like it if students completed this in pairs to promote more social interaction and oral language production.  This is important mainly because language is learned socially, but also that the amount of technology we will have used lends itself to a quiet autonomy in front of a screen.  Once students have teamed up with someone with a similar category, we can give them choices for publication (powtoon, podcast, etc.).  We can add to this list, but in the end there should be no more than 3 publication options, just to avoid the facilitators being spread too thin in giving technical assistance.  Each option should be presented in a demo to help students choose.  The last session will be a celebration of the work students have produced.  Each student can prepare and give some reflective comments in addition to presenting their work.

Photo by Claricethebakergardener

CC BY-SA 4.0 Thoughts about the summer program… by Louise is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.