Conversion Therapy Should be Banned

By Emily Rick & Ayla Tulette

Conversion therapy is a harmful and disgusting act. We believe that the U.S. government should pass legislation criminalizing conversion therapy.

Conversion therapy is also known as reparative therapy. Victims of it are referred to it as “patients that are sick”.  Therapy practices can include aversion therapy, gender reinforcement, electric shock therapy to the genitals and sniffing human feces, and other sexual interactions (RWiki). These practices are forms of verbal and physical abuse, and can legally be used on children and adults in most of the United States.

Reputable places such as AACAP, (American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry),  have undergone extensive research on conversion therapy and concluded, “ there is no evidence that sexual orientation can be altered..or prevented..through therapy, and that attempts to do so may be harmful (hrc).” Many religious institutions are against homesexuality, believing it to be a sin, and that it can be altered. Research has proven this is wrong.

The fact is, conversion therapy does not work and only causes harm. Many victims develop mental illnesses that can lead to suicide. The LGBTQ+ community are born the way they are, and should not be subject to this abuse.

Campaign, Human Rights. “The Lies and Dangers of “Conversion Therapy”.” Human Rights

Campaign. N.p., 2017. Web. 07 June 2017.

“Reparative Therapy.” Reparative Therapy – RationalWiki. N.p., 2017. Web. 07 June 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The War On Conversion Therapy by Ayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. lukas 2 months ago

Dear Emily and Ayla,
    I am intrigued of your post because I agree on their is no way to change a persons sexuality. I am startled that people are trying to do this, I didn’t know about this until I read this post. They need to stop this because it’s not right and me and everyone else in the LGBTQ+ community shouldn’t need to deal with this in our lives . We already have to many issues already. One thing that stands out to me is how you stated, ” Therapy practices can include aversion therapy, gender reinforcement, electric shock therapy to the genitals and sniffing human feces, and other sexual interactions (RWiki).”I think this is pretty scary and wrong to do to our own kind.

2. Zulema 2 months ago

I am intrigued with your post, also very much agree. One cannot change someones sexual identity and can’t be forced upon somebody. I am apart of the LGBTQ community and to even think of being tortured out of my sexual orientation is unfair, it is just as equal to racism. Regardless of skin complexion, ethnicity, sexuality, and religion everyone is human.