I have decided to focus on gentrification in Oakland.

1. Who is the one to blame for gentrification in Oakland?
  2. Who supports gentrification in Oakland?
  3. Who is being affected by gentrification?
  4. What is the solution to help those who are affected by gentrification?
  5. What is a consensus we can reach to avoid gentrification?
  6. When is gentrification going to end?
  7. When did it start affecting our community?
  8. Where is the most affected area?
  9. Why is this happening?
  10. Does this have anything to do with one’s social status? 

The main cause or root cause of gentrification is that there is a high demand to live in the Bay Area. The Bay Area consists of seven counties, Sonoma, Alameda, Santa Clara, Marin, San Mateo, Napa, and San Francisco. There are also a lot of Tech Companies in the Bay Area, and since this is near Silicon Valley, there is a big demand to live in the Bay Area. The cities in Silicon Valley have increased in prices and so have the prices in the Bay Area overall, which has caused workers from Silicon Valley to buy houses that are a cheaper option which at the time was the Bay Area. This caused the Gentrification in San Francisco. The gentrification in San Francisco is a huge factor. This a big factor because it made many families that were middle class move out of the city because even the prices there were too much for them to handle which made them look for a cheaper option that is Oakland.. Finally, because of the financial opportunity that landlords see in this city, they are taking advantage and raising prices to make more profit. In other words, they are raising the prices to kick out those who live in these houses. According to  Dr. Amy K. Glasmeier and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Living Wage Calculator shows that a livable wage for a single person in the Alameda County is $13.38. Looking at the Bay Area Census of 2000-2010 we can see that households that  have at least families with at least one child and two parents is 25.1%. These families have to make, per parent, at least $15.38. This adds up to 32,000 dollars annually, combine both and it is 64,000. This is enough to live here in Oakland. But how many people can accomplish this much amount of money? The poverty in this city is at 25.2% according to CityData.com. In this case, it isn’t the families that have two parents and one child that are being affected, it is the single parents with two, three, four kids. Or even two parents but with many kids. This is very common to see in my community. These are the families that are being mostly affected. All these reasons are the reasons that Oakland being gentrified. According to the Huffington Post’s article titled There’s A Profoundly Simple Explanation For San Francisco’s Housing Crisis, “the demand to live in the Bay Area started to appear as late as 1948. The first sign of gentrification was seen in the Mission area of San Francisco because of the demand that Silicon Valley ,established in 1939.(Communications, Stanford Office of University. “Stanford University History Part 3 of 5 – The Rise of Silicon Valley.” Stanford University. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2017.) This caused a ripple effect on the Bay Area. (For San Francisco’s Housing Crisis.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 02 June 2016. Web. 12 Apr. 2017.) For instance, there is a high demand to live in the Bay Area because it is close to Silicon Valley, where there’s many important companies that are important in the industrial area. Since these companies are fundamental for technological advancements, they pay good wages for their workers. According to the Huffington Post, the median pay  tech companies offer their employees start from 65,400 annually to 116,800 dollars annually (Ferro, Shane. “Here’s How Much Silicon Valley Tech Workers Make.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 01 Mar. 2016. Web. 14 Apr. 2017.) This means that many people can afford to move into San Francisco, because they can afford to live in San Francisco. This caused gentrification in San Francisco because since San Francisco is densely packed and it’s in demand since it’s near the tech companies, landlords raised prices to get rid of the low-income and even the middle class people, so the more wealthier people can move in and therefore the real estate takes advantage to makes more money. Silicon Valley workers are the ones that are looking for these houses since they need a place to live and they also are the ones who can afford it. The gentrification of San Francisco is causing many the people that can’t afford it to move to Oakland. Since San Francisco is next to Oakland, this means that there is a migration of middle class people to Oakland.  They would come to Oakland because rent is cheaper here compared to San Francisco. Landlords can raise the prices on the houses in Oakland to make more money. There was increments on rent from  7.2% to 13.7%. The increase throughout the years was a 5.4%. Even if they don’t raise it astronomically, it is enough to affect the families in these areas in a big way.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Gentrification in Oakland by Adrian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.