In the modern world, it seems that everything is ever changing and ever progressing, but the ever constant force driving this progress is the mindpower of capable individuals. This capability stems from the power of education. Education has innumerable benefits, from preparing the next generation to hopefully make important contributions to the community, to opening youth up to different perspectives from different people. One of education’s most important powers is to help those in need of a path to bring betterment to their lives. In over 18 states (Bidwell), more than 51% of students are underprivileged or live in poverty. Education should serve the role of helping those 51% gain footing and information. On average, those with a bachelor’s degree earn around 15,000 more than those without one (EDSmart). Education treats all students fairly when all students can have fair access to it; knowledge only discriminates between those who work hard to seek it and those who don’t.

Unfortunately, there are many ways in which the current education system is being undermined. The primary source of concern is funding. The Trump administration’s proposed budget plan makes a $9.2 billion cut to the budget for education. This cut comes is made by significantly decreasing funding towards (or completely getting rid of) programs involving teacher training, mental-health support, STEM education, gifted education, anti-bullying, child care, and more (Brown). These are all valuable programs aimed to help the underprivileged and the gifted, two areas which should, in fact, receive more funding. Besides funding, few and fewer qualified teachers are coming into the field. This can be attributed to lack of monetary incentive; although teachers have benefits, they earn less than comparable public workers. In 2015, teachers earned about 7.6% less, and that gap is growing every year (Strauss).

The future is not as bleak as it may seem, though. If citizens rally together behind education, then future generations will have better access to something that can open up new worlds of opportunity for them. This can be accomplished through encouraging support for legislation that keeps funding in education and discouraging support for legislation that takes funding from education. If possible, donate personal money towards local education systems. Begin spreading the idea of support and showing community members the great things education can do. And, although it may seem like a small act, show some appreciation for educators when possible–they don’t get enough of it and no amount of appreciation can be too much.

What do you think? What’s your opinion on the value of education?

Sources

Bidwell, Allie. “Most U.S. Students Live in or Near Poverty.” U.S. News. N.p., 16 Jan. 2015.

Web. 25 May 2017.

Brown, Emma, Valerie Strauss, and Danielle Douglas-Gabriel. “Trump’s First Full Education

Budget: Deep Cuts to Public School Programs in Pursuit of School Choice.” The

Washington Post. WP Company, 17 May 2017. Web. 22 May 2017.

Strauss, Valerie. “Think Teachers Aren’t Paid Enough? It’s Worse than You Think.” The

Washington Post. WP Company, 16 Aug. 2016. Web. 25 May 2017.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Necessity of Education by Minnie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tyson 6 months ago

Hey Minnie! Great article. I was wondering if you could link to the EDsmart stat edsmart.org/higher-education-effects-lifetime-earnings/. Do you write a lot about higher education?