There have not been any major advancements in space travel in over a decade, there has not been a person on the moon since 1972, and new technology has been beginning to come at slower rates. During the Apollo program technology that contributed space travel was created by NASA at record rates, but now that the space race is over the United States has continually decreased the funding of NASA and has had no reason to travel beyond the Earth’s atmosphere. I believe that in order for the Human race to expand our knowledge and create peace we must travel into the stars, and that NASA and SpaceX are our best hopes at such a future. 

In 2015 the United States spent $598,500,000,000 in military spending or around 15% of $3,800,000,000,000. The country with the next highest budget for Military spending would be China, at around $150 billion. NASA on the other hand received a mere $18.7423 million or .5% of the federal discretionary budget. The United States must increase NASA’s budget, if NASA had the budget of the Military space exploration and interstellar travel could be reached within decades. SpaceX on the other hand is a privately funded corporation created by Elon Musk, it is however, under a multi-billion contract from NASA to supply the ISS. The Apollo Program cost $133 billion over the course of around 13 years, this is one of the largest technological jumps in Human history. We obtained the ability to walk the moon, say NASA had the budget of the Military they could launch multiple missions a year  and make even greater advancements in space travel. Space stations could be built yearly, with artificial gravity (Von Braun Space Station Concept), as the international space station cost around $150 billion since 1998. Manned missions to Mars could be completed within a decade and colonization of the planet could be a possible goal within our lifetime. Due to the amount of extinction events on earth some believe that colonizing Mars would be a good “insurance” for the Human race.

Funding advancements in space technology  is essential for expansion of the Human race, we are explorers and funding this tech will allow us to explore. It will allow us to expand into the stars, and although unlikely, find life on other planets. Exploration of our solar system and beyond.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Funding Space Travel by Tyler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.