At a young age I listened to my parents’ conversations about the violence in the Middle East and I was dragged out on Grand River at the age of 6 to protest the Iraq war. Since then, I have befriended an Iraqi Refugee, who has taught me what life was like for her during the war. The endless violence has always irked me but recently when challenged to stand up for something I believed in, I focused more. Over the past week, I’ve been gathering information about American intervention in the Middle East. Just like any other imperialistic country, the U.S. rarely backs down to anyone. As my understanding, U.S. troops were initially in the Middle East, more specifically Iran, during the second world war to get closer to the Soviet Union, who at the time was one of the biggest threats to the U.S. because of differing ideas (“The U.S. and the Middle East”). To sort of show-off to the Soviet Union, America solidified ties with Turkey and Iran during that time period (“The U.S. and the Middle East”).

While things were happening towards the east, the holy land was being divided between Arabic and Jewish people in 1948 (“Creation of Israel”). Personally, I don’t think that there was any reason for the United States to get involved, but the then president, Truman, strongly advocated for the formation of Israel (“Creation of Israel”). By picking sides, the U.S. forced its way into something that had nothing to do with them, and it made them look like the bad guy to one of the sides.

In Syria in the late 1940s, a ruler named Husni al-Za’im, gained power with the help of the coup d’etat. Just when it may seem that America had nothing to do with this Middle Eastern country, think again! It is widely believed as fact that the U.S. CIA was the mastermind behind the coup, and surprisingly this new leader that the United States put in control made several decisions in America’s favor (“Husni al-Za’im”).

Need more examples of America getting a little too cocky over there? Look no further! In the early 2000s, the U.S. declared war on Iraq because it was believed they had possession of weapons of mass destruction and the U.S. was going to bring democracy to Iraq and save so many people! The former point was later proved to actually be known the whole time to be false, and the latter was shown to be completely incorrect by the numerous civilian deaths over there (“Why Bush Went to War”).

Time and time again, the country that I call home has gotten involved with Middle Eastern issues. I believe that these actions are uncalled for, do you agree? Do you think that some of these events that I brought up are more justifiable than others? I’m sick of turning on actual news every week and seeing a continuation of a decade of violence over there. Families are being torn apart and children are dying every single day. As I see it, the root of all of these issues is the entitlement that America feels, and so I suppose the answer is to get rid of that mind set. It’s also important for us to own up to the mistakes that have been made; sometimes the U.S. does the wrong thing, and instead of trying to ignore it, someone needs to step up and explain what happened so that it can be prevented. The arrogance this country has needs to end because it has a direct impact on human lives. The sooner this country stops trying to make everything about them, the sooner the violence can end, or at least lessen.

CC BY-SA 4.0 U.S. Involvement in the Middle East by Jordan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.